- This article is about an in-game mission. For the in-universe event, see Ambush at Vladimir.
- "8492, 8492, 8492...I, I know I've heard that somewhere before...That's right, When we were helping the President's emergency landing, it was the 8492nd who took our place!"
- ― Hans Grimm
8492 is the 19th mission in Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War; however, since it is treated as an immediate continuation of the previous mission, Fortress, it is designated in-game as Mission 18+. The 8492nd Squadron shows their true colors, and the player must escape their ambush.
Approach the 8492nd squadron on the radar. A short moment later, the 8492nd Squadron will disappear from radar, and the player will be attacked by missiles fire.
- Pass through the Return Line on the eastern edge of the map and escape from the enemy, or
- Defeat the enemy squadron.
The enemy fighters will chase after the player's aircraft aggressively. Once all enemy aircraft have been shot down, or a sufficient amount of points are earned, the mission will end.
There is a bug where enemy fighters may escape from battle and fly past the map border, making it impossible to complete the mission by shooting down all enemy aircraft. When that happens, the player will have to fly past the Return Line to end the mission.
No debriefing is available for this mission, even when played during Free Mission.
- TND-ECR Twicedead - appears to the southeast after a certain number of enemies are shot down
- Similar to Narrow Margin, First Flight, White Bird (Part I), and The Unsung War, the player cannot choose their aircraft specifically for this mission unless they play it in Free Mission mode.