The ASF-X Shinden II (震電Ⅱ, "Magnificent Lightning") is a next-generation combat aircraft. In the Assault Horizon universe, the aircraft was a prototype for the active service variants, collectively known as the F-3 Shinden II, developed to protect Japan airspace.
The ASF-X Shinden II was created by Shōji Kawamori, known as the creator of the Macross series, as exclusive downloadable content for Ace Combat: Assault Horizon. The aircraft was an attempt by Project Aces to bring together the futuristic style of Kawamori's work (most notably seen in his Variable Fighter designs) with modern flight technology.
Ace Combat Infinity, the next console release in the Ace Combat series following Assault Horizon, featured the ASF-X Shinden II as the aircraft of choice of the Ridgeback Squadron, an elite squadron under the United Nations Forces. The aircraft's development history in the Infinity universe is still unknown.
There are four ASF-X variants, each with their own specifications. All variants feature 2× turbofan engines.
|ASF-X (CTOL)||ASF-X (STOVL)||F-3A||F-3B||F-3C|
|Length||19.5 m (63.98 ft)||17.6 m (57.74 ft)|
|Wingspan||14.0 m (45.93 ft)||13.04 m (42.78 ft)|
|Wing area||54.2 m2 (583.40 sq ft)||48.23 m2 (519.14 sq ft)|
|Height[a]||3.56 m (11.68 ft)||3.43 m (11.25 ft)|
|Combat radius||800 km
(1,960 km/h; 1,218 mph; 1,058 kn)
(1,715 km/h; 1,066 mph; 926 kn)
(2,205 km/h; 1,370 mph; 1,191 kn)
(1,960 km/h; 1,218 mph; 1,058 kn)
The IUN-PKF is known to have a number of ASF-X Shinden IIs in their fleet. Five IUN-PKF Shinden IIs were showcased at a ceremony commemorating the 25th anniversary of the end of the Belkan War hosted by the Osean Federation.
Assault Horizon universe
Following the September 11 attacks and the 2002 Japan unauthorized incursion incident, the Japanese military was determined to create a new aircraft to defend the country. Development began in 2003. The aircraft was named the "Shinden II" due to some of the developers being interested in Imperial Japanese Navy technology (specifically the Kyūshū J7W1 Shinden).
The Shinden II remained in development and testing until September 2018, when the Haneda Incident forced the Japanese government to equip four test units (known as ASF-X units) with live weaponry. They successfully thwarted a second NRF terrorist attack, and the Shinden II entered full service shortly afterward.
A number of Shinden II models were developed for the United Kingdom. In British service, the aircrafts were named the "F-3C-RN Magnificent Lightning". These units were later used in the West Africa civil war.
The ASF-X Shinden II was developed sometime after the Ulysses Disaster. It was adopted as the main aircraft of the United Nations Forces' Ridgeback Squadron, who customized them to achieve greater performance.
In 2019, Ridgeback Squadron utilized the aircraft during Operations Fogbound and Crusher. During Operation Override, Slash's ASF-X was shot down by a QFA-44 being controlled by Camilla. Following the outbreak of the USEAn War, the Ridgebacks continued to use the ASF-X during Operations Point Blanc, Battle Axe, and Bunker Shot. A number of mercenaries allied with the UNF also flew Shinden IIs.
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
- "A cutting-edge support fighter built to handle a variety of situations. Its unique configuration allows for stable flight at a wide range of speeds. Its internal computer is programmed to operate flaps and ailerons individually to achieve the optimal wing configuration for its current velocity so that maneuverability is not lost even at low speeds. Its two small but powerful thrusters built vertically into the fuselage are capable of high acceleration, and its paddle-type 2D thrust vectoring nozzles and variable forward-swept wings allow it to maintain maneuverability and stability even at high speeds. Along with relatively good stealth capabilities, the aircraft boasts four weapons bays that can be fitted with long-range anti-ship missiles and wide-area bombs, giving it an exceptional advantage against ground targets. It also performs well at air-to-air combat and breaking through enemy air defense networks, making it a "multi-role fighter" in the truest sense. Its nickname is "Shinden II.""
- ― Hangar
How to Unlock
- Osea: Gray body
- Erusea: JASDF ocean blue camouflage
- Special: Experimental prototype livery
- Mage: Osea skin with Mage Squadron markings
- Spare: Osea skin with Spare Squadron markings
- Strider: Osea skin with Strider Squadron markings
- Nagase: Kei Nagase's livery
- Ridgebacks: Ridgeback Squadron's livery
Ace Combat Infinity
- "This fictional state-of-the-art support fighter has a variable airframe that provides stable flight performance at any speed, making it ideal for a variety of missions such as attacking hostile fleets in territorial waters, engaging enemies attempting to land, and providing support during mountain defense operations. Boasting a variable, forward swept wing configuration, its outstanding maneuverability provides excellent close-range combat abilities. It has a unique two-tiered engine, allowing it to be a VTOL aircraft as well. It is known widely as "Shinden II" (Magnificent Lightning II)."
- ― Hangar
How to Unlock
- The ASF-X Shinden II can be purchased from the Aircraft Tree for 432,000 credits.
- Part Slots
- At Lv.1, this aircraft carried 32 BODY, 32 ARMS, and 32 MISC part slots. See Tuning § Slot Expansion for further information.
- Upgrading this aircraft to these levels unlocked the respective nicknames for use at any time.
- Lv.3: Sea Lightning
- Lv.10: Ridgebacks
- Lv.15: Icarus
- Lv.20: Super Felix
- Gray body
- Ocean blue top, gray nose & light gray bottom with JASDF roundels on forward fuselage and wings
- Limited-Time Drop (January 1–February 1, 2016)
- Purchase from the Special Supply catalogue for 100 (August 1, 2016–permanent)
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon
- This fictional state-of-the-art support fighter has a variable airframe that provides stable flight performance at any speed level making it ideal for a variety of missions such as attacking hostile fleets in territorial waters, engaging enemies attempting to land, and providing support during mountain defense operations. Boasting a variable, forward swept wing configuration, its outstanding maneuverability provides excellent close range combat abilities. It has a unique two-tiered engine allowing it to be a VTOL aircraft as well. It is known widely as "Shinden II" (Magnificent Lightning II).
How to Unlock
- The ASF-X Shinden II must be purchased and downloaded for the game through PlayStation Network or Xbox LIVE. It comes for free (like most other DLC) on the Steam version.
- Gun: 20 mm JM61A1 six-barrel rotary cannon
- Missile: AAM-3
- 6 Target Air-to-Air Missile: AAM-4
- Rocket Launcher: JLAU-3A
- Long-Range Air-to-Ground Missile: XASM-3
- Color 1: Dark gray camouflage with Japan Air Self-Defense Force markings.
- Color 2: Metallic blue with JASDF markings.
- Color 3: Darker grey with gold tips, featuring Project Aces and 19th Task Force emblems.
- The ASF-X designation stands for "Advanced Support Fighter Experimental".
- The F-3B, along with the AV-8B Harrier II, is capable of holding the nose level through a stall, likely as an attempt to simulate VTOL capabilities to a limited extent.
- The ASF-X Shinden II appears as a guest character in the PlayStation Vita game Taiko no Tatsujin: V Version. The game also features "Comona" from the Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies Original Soundtrack.
- The ASF-X Shinden II's namesake is based on the Kyushu J7W Shinden, a WWII-era experimental aircraft developed by Imperial Japan as a bomber-interceptor, as previously mentioned in the History section.
- The height specification is with the landing gear down in the landing configuration, not in flight.
- Players could use one Nonstandard Upgrade Request Form instead of credits for the Lv.6 upgrade.
- Far Eastern Front. Ace Combat Infinity.
- Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Master File, pages 22–23.
- ASF-X -Ridgebacks-, Ace Combat Infinity.
- File:Ace Combat 7 Skies Unknown - 25th Anniversary DLC
- Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Master File, page 6.
- Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Master File, page 11.
- Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Master File, page 14.
- Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Master File, page 18.
- File:GAZE - ACES at WARS 2020.jpeg
- Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Master File, page 24.
- Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Master File, page 26.
- Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Master File, page 69.
- Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Master File, page 71.
- Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Master File, page 91.
- Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Master File, page 89.
- Mission 03: "Rescue", Ace Combat Infinity
- Mission 04: "Stonehenge", Ace Combat Infinity
- Mission 05: "Far Eastern Front", Ace Combat Infinity
- Mission 06: "Avalon", Ace Combat Infinity
- Mission 07: "Area B7R", Ace Combat Infinity
- Mission 08: "Operation Bunker Shot", Ace Combat Infinity
- Ace Combat Infinity
- GUMI And Freedom Wars Mascot Appear As Guests In Taiko: Drum Master V Version. Siliconera. Published May 8, 2015. Retrieved May 11, 2015.
- Taiko Drum Master: V Version adds Uta no Prince-Sama and Ace Combat songs. Gematsu. Published May 7, 2015. Retrieved May 11, 2015.