Aces At War: A History is an official Ace Combat artbook. The book features development insights from the most popular Ace Combat games including concept art, fictional aircraft showcases, and interviews.
The first edition of Aces At War was developed in 2011 and included with the Japan-exclusive Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Special Edition. The book's contents focused solely on the PlayStation 2 games in the franchise: Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War, and Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War. This edition of the book was only in Japanese.
The second edition of Aces At War, known as Aces At War: A History 2019, was included with every physical special edition of Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown: the Aces at War Bundle, the Collector's Edition, and the Strangereal Edition. The book includes most of the contents from the first edition as well as new content focused on Ace Combat 7 and Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation. This edition of the book was available in Japanese, English, Korean, and Traditional Chinese, depending on the region it was purchased in.
The 2011 edition of Aces At War: A History features the following sections:
- Introduction - an opening featuring a document Vincent Harling signed to authorize Operation Game Bird, followed by showcases of Kei Nagase's copy of A Blue Dove for the Princess
- Wings Over Osea - the major events and characters of the Circum-Pacific War from Ace Combat 5
- The Shot - the design details on the superweapons featured in the three PlayStation 2 games, as well as the Ulysses 1994XF04 asteroid
- State of the Art Fighters Change the Course of War - showcases of the ADFX-01 Morgan, ADF-01 FALKEN, and X-02 Wyvern, the main fictional aircraft of the three PlayStation 2 games
- Man At War - biographies and concept artwork of the main characters in the PlayStation 2 games
- Flags & Insignias, etc. - country flags, squadron emblems, and other insignia featured in the PlayStation 2 games
- History of War - a detailed Strangereal timeline spanning from 1970 to 2010
The 2019 edition of Aces At War: A History contains most of the contents from the 2011 edition, plus new contents focused on Ace Combat 6 and Ace Combat 7. The book is split into the following sections:
- Setting materials, illustrations, and CG images from the featured games
- A history of the wars in the franchise
- Concept artwork by Kazuma Koda
- Columns on the latest fighter aircraft and drone technology
- Three developer interviews
- Four new short stories penned by Sunao Katabuchi
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "「エースコンバット7 スカイズ・アンノウン」の価格や限定版情報などが公開。早期購入特典は，シリーズ過去作がダウンロードできる特典コード" [""ACE COMBAT 7 SKIES UNKNOWN" limited edition details and pricing are revealed. Early purchase benefits include exclusive codes to download past games in the franchise"]. 4gamer.com. Published on 19 September 2018. Retrieved on 22 September 2018.
- ↑ Kono, Kazutoki [@kazutoki] (6 October 2018). "Maybe, In English ver. For US and EU. Contents is same one as JP ver.". Twitter.
- ↑ "ACES at WAR A HISTORY 2019". エースコンバット7 スカイズ・アンノウン｜バンダイナムコエンターテインメント. Retrieved on 17 December 2018.