Anchorhead is a harbor and port city located on the western coast of Usea, southwest of the Amber Mountains. As a harbor, Anchorhead was a major economic and trading hub on the west coast, as well as an important port of call for various Usean naval forces.
- 1 History
- 2 Gallery
- 3 Trivia
- 4 References
Usean coup d'état
Anchorhead was a key supply port for the Usean Allied Forces before being captured and converted into a supply base for the Usean Rebel Forces' fleet, which included a Kinnear-class aircraft carrier. The rebels set up an extensive network of anti-aircraft defenses around the city to protect their fleet and the harbor facilities.
Operation Anchorhead Freedom
On April 5, 1998, Phoenix was ordered to eliminate the rebel presence in Anchorhead and reclaim the city for the Allies. Despite heavy resistance, the rebel forces stationed in the city were destroyed, and the fleet was sunk. This opening allowed the Allies' ground forces to invade and liberate the city.
During the events of the Lighthouse War, Anchorhead once again became embroiled in conflict.
The Hunt for the Alicorn
Following the destruction of the Njord Fleet, the Erusean Navy began gathering its remaining ships at Anchorhead Bay along with mothball ships to form another Fleet. Multiple high ranking Erusean Navy officers also arrived in the city to oversee the effort. On September 10th, 2019, Osean Brigadier General Howard Clemens initiated Operation Domino to cripple the Erusean reserve Rán Fleet in harbor to prevent them from building strength for the attack and capture of Farbanti and to (supposedly) keep them from joining up with the rogue super-submarine Alicorn.
Defense of the Erusean General
A second engagement occurred on October 1st, 2019, this time between Erusean Radicals, Erusean Conservatives, and Osean forces. Due to the breakdown of communications following Operation Giant's Step, automatic IFF systems were rendered inoperable and military forces were highly disorganized, causing multiple friendly fire incidents. Strider Squadron arrived at the city to escort the defecting Erusean Army general Édouard Labarthe, who had data that could help end the war. With the loss of the automatic IFF system, Strider Squadron was forced to manually identify targets using the aircraft's infrared cameras. Strider successfully escorted Labarthe and his driver to an Osean helicopter.
A transport carrying EASA personnel along with escorting drones later entered the airspace. Strider Squadron was ordered to defend the transport from incoming conservative forces. After shooting down all fighters, the drones began to attack Strider Squadron, as well as request multiple MQ-99s for assistance. Strider Squadron shot down all drones in the area, allowing the transport to safely leave the airspace.
As the battle progressed, AWACS Argus received false intel from Erusean Radicals claiming that the officer escorting General Labarthe, Captain Karl, was an impostor. In response, Argus ordered all Osean forces in the area to eliminate the general. As Labarthe's transport proceeded to leave the airspace, an Osean F-16C shot down the transport, killing everyone on board.
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy
Ace Combat 2
- The original skyline of Anchorhead in Ace Combat 2 featured two skyscrapers that resemble the World Trade Center; these towers would be removed from the Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy and Assault Horizon Legacy + re-releases following the events of September 11, 2001 but were later restored in Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown.
- During City On Fire, the rebels incorrectly refer to the location as "Axel Bay".
- Anchorhead’s coastline bears a striking similarity to the city of Yokohama, Japan.
- The city is likely named after Anchorhead, a location featured in the science fiction franchise Star Wars.
- "City On Fire", Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy.
- "Last Hope", Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown.
- "City On Fire", Ace Combat 2.
- "Acid Rain", Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy.
- "Siege of Farbanti", Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies.
- SP Mission 02: "Anchorhead Raid", Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown.
- Aces At War: A History 2019, page 145.