Battle Royal is an online multiplayer game mode featured in Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation, Ace Combat: Assault Horizon, and Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown. Players engage in a free-for-all deathmatch until time runs out or one player earns enough score to complete the match. Despite its name, players are not eliminated in Battle Royal and can respawn a few seconds after being shot down.
Battle Royal supports a maximum of 16 players in Ace Combat 6 and Assault Horizon and a maximum of 8 players in Ace Combat 7. Upon spawning, all players are free to engage each other at will. Each player is worth a certain number of points depending on the aircraft they're flying and, in Ace Combat 7, their equipped tuning parts and special weapons. When a player is shot down, they must wait a certain amount of time before they're allowed to respawn again.
The first player to reach the specified score in the time limit wins. If the time runs out, the player with the highest score wins. Both the score and the time limit depend on the game. Ace Combat 6 also awards ranks and certain bonuses to each player depending on their performance. Ace Combat 7 features this as well in the form of medals.
Ace Combat 6 and Assault Horizon feature an option to enable AI-controlled NPC aircraft. They do not award score in Ace Combat 6, but players who shoot them down in Assault Horizon earn score as if they were other players. Ace Combat 7 removed NPC aircraft from the mode entirely.
Assault Horizon awards additional score at a steady pace to players who survive for a certain amount of time. The game also features an alternate rule set that only counts the number of aircraft shot down instead of the value of the aircraft. Players can choose one rule set or the other before creating the match lobby. Like the other online modes, Assault Horizon also allows players to change their aircraft and weapon in the respawn menu, and players can only respawn at specific respawn points.
The following stages are available for Battle Royal games.
Ace Combat 7
Each stage in Ace Combat 7 also comes with a short description about the area.
- Fort Grays Island - A combat zone above the sea, fraught with clouds that can conceal the enemy. Chase after them while using the cover yourself to gain the upper hand.
- Anchorhead Bay - Nighttime combat in a crowded metropolis. A high concentration of bridges and tall buildings in this glimmering cityscape will make flying at low altitudes a tough task.
- Waiapolo Mountains - Combat takes place in the skies surrounding mountain range peaks. Clouds cover both the mountains and valleys, spelling certain doom for careless pilots.
- Yinshi Valley (Morning) - A combat zone with great rock formations that pierce the sky. Expertly timing your attacks as you weave through the ravines will be the key to victory in this difficult terrain.
- Yinshi Valley (Night) - Combat takes place on a dark, stormy night in a rocky karst area. Conquer the thunderous skies above and the punishing terrain below to lay claim to victory.
- Roca Roja - Combat unfolds above wastelands bathed red in the light of the evening sun, with the arid sky serving as the backdrop for a battle of pure skill.
- Washington, D.C.
- East Africa (Oil Field)
- East Africa (Urban area)
- Moscow (Urban area)
Ace Combat 6
Each stage in Ace Combat 6 also features stage hazards that players must take into account during combat.
- Stage 1 -
- Stage 2 - Sipli Field
- Stage 3 - Selumna Peaks
- Stage 4 - San Loma
- Stage 5 -
- Download - Fuscum Sea