A recurring gameplay feature in the Ace Combat games, a canyon flight refers to any instance when the player is forced to pilot their aircraft at very low altitude through a series of canyons or ravines in order to avoid intense enemy anti-aircraft defenses blanketing the airspace above. Unlike tunnel flights, canyon flights typically occur at random points throughout the games as opposed to at or near the climax of the storyline. Canyon flights typically only comprise a portion of a given mission, though mission 23 of Ace Combat 5 consists entirely of a prolonged canyon flight, culminating in a high-speed dogfight within the confines of Payavlenie Ravine.
- 1 Canyon Flights in the Ace Combat series
- 1.1 Air Combat
- 1.2 Ace Combat 2
- 1.3 Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere
- 1.4 Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies
- 1.5 Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War
- 1.6 Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War
- 1.7 Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception
- 1.8 Ace Combat Xi: Skies of Incursion
- 1.9 Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation
- 1.10 Ace Combat: Joint Assault
- 1.11 Ace Combat: Assault Horizon
- 1.12 Ace Combat Infinity
- 1.13 Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
Canyon Flights in the Ace Combat series
The player attacks an enemy radar base hidden in a ravine in Mission 07 "Suppress Radar Base" and flies through another ravine to reach enemy headquarters in Mission 16 "Strike!". The poor graphics make it very easy to crash due to being unable to distinguish between the two walls of the canyon when making turns. Trying to leave the ravines results in the player being shot down instantly by unavoidable SAMs.
Ace Combat 2
Scarface One attacking an enemy base hidden in ravines in the missions "Greased Lightning", "One Night Stand", and "El Dorado". "El Dorado" also introduces targets placed in tunnels that must be attacked by firing a missile directly into the tunnel mouth.
Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere
Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies
Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War
Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War
Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception
Ace Combat Xi: Skies of Incursion
Falco One flying through a canyon to avoid anti-aircraft fire while destroying supply warehouses.
Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation
Garuda Team flying through Grageo Canyon on the transport route assault alongside Windhover Squadron during "Ragno Fortress" and Garuda Team flying across the Alma River during "Weapons of Mass Destruction".
Ace Combat: Joint Assault
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon
- Warwolf Squadron and Lion Squadron fly through a Canyon while fighting the rebel Big Bear Squadron after the latter squadron defects as part of the New Russian Federation uprising.
- Razor 1 flies through a canyon in the Caucasus Mountains, avoiding the early warning radar network.
Ace Combat Infinity
- Bone Arrow and the Ridgebacks must flee from the Stonehenge's line of fire in "Rescue".
- Bone Arrow and the Ridgebacks infiltrate Avalon Dam in Russia via the canyon.
- In an online co-op mission, players have to infiltrate Avalon Dam in Russia via the canyon during the beginning of the "Avalon Dam Invasion" mission or risk being shot down by the Air Defense Missiles.
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
- Spare Squadron must navigate through the narrow Yinshi Valley to locate and take out Erusean SAM sites and RADAR stations that were preventing Cyclops Squadron and Strider Squadron from safely returning to base in "First Contact".
- Strider Squadron must navigate through the ravine in Cape Rainy in order to reach an Erusean air base in "Cape Rainy Assault".