- This mission is not considered part of Strangereal canon, and therefore has no corresponding operation page.
- "He's shooting up everything! Doesn't he care that the city's going to end up a sea of fire?!"
- ― Leasath Ground Unit
Captive City is a campaign mission in Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception.
This mission becomes available if the player does not play Last Line of Defense immediately following Prelude, allowing the Miller Unit to retake Port Patterson. The player must destroy the Miller Unit but also avoid damaging the port's facilities. While Port Patterson is not retaken, the player will have half their usual time limit (where applicable) during other missions.
Eugene Solano: Leasath's Miller Unit has taken control of Port Patterson. Your mission is to take it back. Reports say that the enemy unit swooped in on Port Patterson from Kingshill, completely overtaking our forces stationed there. We should have paid more attention to the enemy's movements... This position must be retaken as soon as possible. Port Patterson is an important refueling station. Without access to fuel, our forces won't be able to carry on the battle much longer. Intelligence confirms that the Miller Unit plans to use the port complex to shield themselves from our attack. We need to clear them out, but attacking with indiscretion will only result in damage to the facilities. Without the facilities intact, Port Patterson is useless. Use utmost discretion in capturing the port.
The goal of the mission is to destroy the Miller Unit while minimizing damage to several fuel tanks near Port Patterson's harbor area. Damage suffered by the complex is displayed on the Multi-Purpose Gauge; if the gauge is filled up, the mission will end in failure.
Most of the enemies marked as TGTs are AA guns and SAM vehicles strewn throughout the city. A couple of fighters and helicopters will also be in the area, but the player does not have to shoot them down to complete the mission. The AA guns and SAMs will drive very fast around the port and in between the fuel tanks to use them as cover. The player must avoid the bait and attack the vehicles from above. The standard homing missiles work best in this mission.
As the player destroys the TGTs, reinforcements will slowly begin to appear. Columns of reinforcements will enter Port Patterson from multiple directions, but the player will have ample time to destroy them since they take lengthy routes to the fuel tanks. The player will complete the mission once they destroy all TGTs.
The following enemy lists have been verified with the Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception - The Complete Guide.
|AA GUN||150||2||[note 1]|
|AA GUN||150||2||[note 6]|
|★ C-5||400||Easy||Unlocks "Extra Ladder" wing part|
|F-1 "SHIVA"||520||Normal||[note 7]|
Earning an S rank on this mission requires earning 6,500 points. If the player destroys all TGTs, they will only earn 3,110 points, so the rest must be earned by shooting down a majority of the air units. The damage to Port Patterson's fuel tanks does not affect the clear rank.
Eugene Solano: We've succeeded in ousting the Miller Unit hiding within the port complex, and have once again taken control of Port Patterson. This should also relieve some of the stress on our fuel reserves. Luckily the city survived the assault with surprisingly little damage. Still, the ferocity of the enemy counterattack was completely unexpected. The enemy can take back a point as soon as you turn your back. We'll have to be more cautious of the enemy's strategy from now on.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 These enemy units appear after the player destroys any four TGTs.
- ↑ The first group of F-14Ds spawns after the player shoots down the first two F-1s.
- ↑ The second group of F-1s spawns after the player shoots down the first group of F-14Ds. These F-1s will spawn one at a time; when the player shoots down one F-14D, one of these F-1s will appear.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 The group of F-14Ds and F-16Cs spawns after the player shoots down the second group of F-1s.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 These enemy units appear after the player destroys any eight TGTs.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 These enemy units appear after the player destroys any 10 TGTs.
- ↑ SHIVA spawns after the player destroys any 10 TGTs, if they have not destroyed any FUEL TANKs.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception - The Complete Guide, page 060.