A coup d'état (pronounced koo day-tah), also known as a coup (koo) or a rebellion, is an event where one party attempts to overthrow a country's current government.
Coup d'etats are usually performed through military force. Unlike terrorist attacks, which are used to invoke fear, coup d'etats are intended to remove and replace a country's government with one the coup's supporters believe would be more beneficial.
Coup forces - the people fighting in support of the coup d'état - typically have a military background. However, they are usually a minority compared to the loyalist government forces or their hired mercenaries. As a result, coups are rarely successful.
List of coups
There have been many coup d'etats in the Strangereal universe.
- Skully Islands insurrection (1995): An unknown terrorist group attempted to take control of the Skully Islands, which were then controlled by the Federation of Central Usea. The FCU's general of the Southern District, Robert Tyler, hired the Scarface Squadron to quell the rebellion. After a desperate last stand using the Sky Fortress, the terrorist group was defeated.
- A World With No Boundaries (1995): AWWNB attempted to use a V2 missile to cripple multiple countries on the eastern Osean continent and take them over to "erase all borders". The Allied Forces, spearheaded by Cipher and PJ of Galm Team, shut down AWWNB by destroying their stolen mobile base, the XB-0 Hresvelgr, and their captured missile launch facility in Avalon Dam, Belka. Larry Foulke killed PJ and attempted to launch the V2, but he was shot down by Cipher and the V2 safely detonated in the atmosphere, ending the rebellion.
- Usean coup d'état (1998): The Usean Rebel Forces, opposing a Usean treaty with Osea, launched a coup to overthrow the governments of all Usean countries. The Usean Allied Forces hire the Scarface Squadron once more to shut down the coup.
- Operation Katina (2006): Free Erusea attempts to overthrow the provisional ISAF government in Erusea. Mobius 1 shuts down the rebellion.
- Circum-Pacific War (2010): Both Yuktobanian Prime Minister Nikanor and Osean President Harling were removed from their offices during the early stages of the war. This led to a sort of coup d'état where the remaining pro-war members of each government took over and instigated further conflict. This was according to the Grey Men's plan for retribution for the Belkan War, but the coups were reversed upon Nikanor and Harling's return to power by the end of the war.
- Emmeria-Estovakia War (2016): After the end of the war, the civilian population of the Federal Republic of Estovakia launches a national coup d'état to overthrow "The Generals", a committee of high ranking Estovakian officers who reformed the nation under a military regime following the civil war that plagued the country for several years, replacing them with an unknown government.