Darkness of Enigma (DOE) was a secret General Resource military development program. Its main goal was to research the practical application of neutral networks and the development of next-generation fighter aircraft. The ultimate product of DOE was the X-49 Night Raven.
DOE was started in 2028. In 2031, child prodigy Rena Hirose joined General Resource, and she was used as a test subject in DOE. The program showed success as, on July 21, 2032, Hirose made her first successful flight in the X-49.
However, the upper management in General Resource disagreed with using Hirose, especially since the X-49 could only be controlled by someone who had undergone artificial nerve surgery specifically for the aircraft. As a result, General Resource dissolved the program and ended the X-49's development in 2033. The entire X-49 development team was subsequently absorbed by Neucom Incorporated.
- Darkness of Enigma was directly mentioned in Ace Combat Infinity as part of the development history of the X-49 Night Raven.
- Due to its secrecy and innovation, Darkness of Enigma could be described as a skunkworks project. However, skunkworks projects are usually free of management constraints, whereas DOE was shut down specifically because of such constraints.
- Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere - Mission & World View Guide Book, page 187.
- Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere - Mission & World View Guide Book, page 035.
- Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere - Mission & World View Guide Book, page 037.
- Cutscene prior to No Clearance, Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere.
- Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere - Mission & World View Guide Book, page 021.