For the canon variant of this mission, see End of Deception II.
End of Deception I is one of the two final campaign missions in Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception.
Eugene Solano: We've advanced within striking distance of Archelon Fortress. Fenrir, the whole reason they started this war, is being made right here on this base. It's our duty to wipe this base clear off the map. The HPM has been transported to Archelon Fortress from Cobalt Cave, and it appears it has already been fitted to Fenrir. The weapon works by emitting microwaves from both Fenrir and Archelon Fortress to create an overlapping field effect detonating all fuel caught in between. Fly too slow for too long and you'll be tracked by the targeting system. If you don't escape quickly your fuel tank will explode.
If Offline was completed:
- Thankfully, the targeting system has been impaired by the destruction of the satellite targeting facility at Cobalt Cave. Even with the targeting system impaired, the HPM still poses a threat. Be careful.
We've also received intel that the Archelon Fortress is equipped with the same type of Shock Cannon employed on the Gleipnir. Sir, we've succeeded in freeing Aurelia. The war should have already been over for us, but someone has to put an end to this. Just make sure you come back alive.
- No change in mission parameters (Griswall > Alect Squadron > Offline)
- Microwave Weapon: Enhanced Accuracy (Griswall > Alect Squadron): Greatly increases HPM accuracy.
The player begins east of Archelon Fortress, with a squadron of two Su-37 Terminators and one F-15S/MTD appearing in front seconds after starting. The targets of the mission, four Fenrirs, appear in groups of two in a triangle formation followed by two energy spheres: the High-Powered Microwave in action. The Fenrirs' main strategy is to avoid the player's cone of vision and assault them using optical camouflage, and are defended by passive missile jamming. They possess the "heavy armor" characteristic used by A-10s and Tornado F3s, requiring three missile hits to be shot down.
The Fenrirs' lack of combat skill is compensated by the HPM, which will continuously follow the player and raise the temperature of the aircraft's fuel tank, tracked by the Multi-Purpose Gauge. Moving at sufficiently high speed (around 600 MPH) is enough to escape being enveloped by the spheres; however, failing to complete "Offline" improves their guidance, requiring a speed exceeding 700 MPH to escape.
When the Fenrirs are shot down, the commander of Archelon Fortress orders the Shock Cannon into operation. The weapon has an area of effect identical to the Gleipnir in "Standoff in the Skies I" and a higher rate of fire. It is easily destroyed, having no greater durability than the airborne version. Although mostly harmless, the main danger of the Shock Cannon is the massive cloud of smoke it generates after exploding, potentially causing the player to crash.
|★CONT.SHIP||160||Easy||Unlocks Adv Titanium when sunk. [note 1]|
|S-32 "ELIZA"||1520||Normal||[note 2]|
- In the cutscene before the mission, the Doom door sound effect can be heard.
- End of Deception I is one of the only final campaign missions to end with a debriefing section, albeit one without commentary from Crux.
- The electrical transmitter from End of Deception II, although not registered as a target in this mission, can still be attacked with careful aim and be destroyed by a Tactical Laser System.
- Spawns south of the island in the Mission Update and sails east.
- Appears after initial pairs of Su-37s and F-15S/MTDs are shot down. Accompanies the third F-15S/MTD from the northeast of the map.
- Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception - The Complete Guide, pages 158-161.