- This article is about an in-game mission. For the in-universe event, see Bombing of Sand Island.
- "Oh no, you're kidding me, an Air raid?"
- ― Chopper
First Flight is the fourth mission of Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
The mission's primary targets are numerous enemy bombers.
Once all the bombers are shot down, Pops will take off, and Archer will leave the hangar. The new objective is to protect him as he taxis to the runway and takes off. Once he is in the air, Lt. Col. Ford will get shot down, after which another wave of bombers and escorts will appear. Shooting down the bombers ends the mission.
We sustained damage but our efforts prevented the destruction of the base. The base is still combat capable with repairs proceeding at a rapid pace.
- This was the first mission in the game to introduce Minigames, takeoff and landing.
- During the mission, Osean Air force planes can be heard in the radio. They can also be seen on the cutscene while the player is on the ground preparing for takeoff, but Osea wouldn't be able to deploy any squadrons other than Wardog at that time, as Sand island didn't have other squadrons on the island. Further more, any fighters that could of taken off from the mainland wouldn't be able to reach Sand Island fast enough.
- The squadron of F-16C's that appears in the second part of the mission when Grimm is taking-off can fire missiles backwards.
- In the pre-mission cutscene we find out Chopper likes listening to rock music. He has posters for Rolling Thunder, Sky Kid, and Kenny Loggins among others on his wall. The song playing in the background is Blurry by Puddle of Mudd which is the main theme for Ace Combat 5 and was featured at the E3 convention when the game was launched.