- "Oh no, you're kidding me, an Air raid?"
- ― Chopper
First Flight is the fourth mission of Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
The mission's primary targets are numerous enemy bombers which must be shot down before they can destroy the base, or the mission will fail.
Once all the bombers are shot down, Pops will take off, and Archer will leave the hangar. The new objective is to protect him as he taxis to the runway and takes off. Once he is in the air, Lt. Col. Ford will get shot down, after which another wave of bombers and escorts will appear. Shooting down the bombers ends the mission.
|F-4G "MINDDRIPPER"||320||Normal||[note 1]|
We sustained damage but our efforts prevented the destruction of the base. The base is still combat capable with repairs proceeding at a rapid pace.
- This was the first mission in the game to introduce Minigames, takeoff and landing.
- During the mission, OADF planes can be heard on the radio and can be seen in the cutscene while the player is on the ground preparing for takeoff. However, Osea wouldn't be able to deploy any squadrons other than Wardog at that time, as Sand island didn't have other squadrons on the island. Furthermore, any fighters that could have taken off from the mainland wouldn't be able to reach Sand Island fast enough.
- The squadron of F-16C's that appears in the second part of the mission when Grimm is taking-off can fire missiles backwards.
- In the pre-mission cutscene we find out Chopper likes listening to rock music. He has posters for Rolling Thunder, Sky Kid, and Kenny Loggins among others on his wall. The song playing in the background is Blurry by Puddle of Mudd which is the main theme for Ace Combat 5 and was featured at the E3 convention when the game was launched.
- "First Flight", the background music for this mission, was one of the video game songs played during the Parade of Nations at the 2020 Summer Olympics opening ceremony.
- The player must have completed this mission at least once, and must be playing on Normal difficulty or higher. Mindripper will spawn if the player destroys two Phantoms and one of the B-1B Lancers in the first wave..
- Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War Perfect Guide, pages 068-069.
|Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War Missions|