- This article is about an in-game mission. For the in-universe event, see Akerson Hill Incident.
- "They're like hyenas. Going after a helpless transport plane... you ever heard of honour, guys?"
- ― Alvin H. Davenport
Handful of Hope is the eighth mission of Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
Orson Perrault: Since we thwarted their invasion, we haven't seen any major offensive operation by the enemy for several weeks. Almost like we're at peace again, eh people? Anyway, let's start the briefing.
Briefing Officer: Yuktobanian combat operations have been dormant since their failed large-scale invasion and the loss of their underwater carrier, Scinfaxi. However, there is still concern over a possible infiltration by small-scale forces from the ground and the air. You will split into flights of two and carry out patrols in the area from Akerson Hill to the northern coastline. The airspace above the grain fields extending around Akerson is covered by our Osean AA system. The system automatically fires missiles at any hostile aircraft it detects. Patrol the northern coastline of Akerson Hill, which is out of our AA system's range.
- "Guide the transport plane through the AA systems radar coverage and take it to Akerson Hill. The transport is on a top secret mission, so its ID signal has not been registered into the AA system's database. As a result if the transport is picked up by the AA system, it my be shot down by our own missile fire. The engagement zone of this ground-based AA system is displayed on your radar. Due to combat damage, the transport's radar is inoperable, and it's maneuverability is restricted. Guide the plane so it stays out of the AA system's engagement zone."
- ― In-flight briefing
The mission's first objective is to guide Mother Goose One through the Akerson Hill AA network.
Mission Update 1
Once the AA network has been cleared, the mission's next objective is to protect Mother Goose One from all enemy fighters.
Mission Update 2
After enough time has passed, the mission's final objective is to destroy windmills in order for Mother Goose One to be able to land.
We've received a sitrep from Central Command. The crew onboard the transport plane you encountered during your patrol has been rescued by the 8492nd Squadron. That is currently all the information we have.
- The events inside Mother Goose One involving the "spy" are never shown in detail. However, a concept illustration posted in the nineteenth developer report in the official Ace Combat 5 website (see right) shows the aftermath of the "spy" incident inside Mother Goose One. The image depicts Harling standing in the pilot cabin next to Tommy (shown as a black male) and the deceased captain, clutching his bleeding right arm.
- Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War Perfect Guide, pages 076-077.