The IUN is an international peacekeeping organization in the Strangereal universe. The IUN primarily maintains air traffic control across the Usean continent. The organization also maintains the IUN Peacekeeping Force (IUN-PKF), a military force comprised of air, land, and sea units. While some of these are Usean military units, over half of the IUN-PKF's units belong to the Osean Defense Forces.
The IUN carried out its peacekeeping duties since at least the 1990s and continued to do so in the 21st century. The organization did not directly interfere in major conflicts until 2014 with Free Erusea's second uprising. The IUN was then heavily involved as an Osean proxy in the 2019 Lighthouse War.
The IUN and its peacekeeping force have been referred to by multiple names:
- International United Nation
- United Nations
- IUN Peacekeeping Force; IUN-PKF or IUN PKF for short
- International Union (Peacekeeping Force); IUPF for short
In 1996, the IUN was involved in a standoff between FCU and Erusean forces in Ugellas and Amber. Following the Ulysses 1994XF04 on April 20, the FCU forces retreated from the region, prompting the IUN to retreat as well. The IUN was hampered by logistical difficulties and heavy storms, preventing a full retreat until April 22.
In 2006, after the Continental War, Free Erusean rebels seized an IUN-controlled former military factory in White Valley. The rebels launched attacks across the Usean continent using arms from inside the factory. The Independent State Allied Forces launched Operation Katina to quell the rebellion.
Control over Usea
Some time after Operation Katina, the Independent State Allied Forces was dissolved; the IUN took over its peacekeeping operations, some of its former units, and some FCU assets—including a carrier strike group and the Fort Grays Island air base. By 2008, the IUN oversaw Usea's ceasefire after Erusea reformed into a Kingdom. IUN-PKF units were deployed to former Erusean territories, including Gunther, which the IUN governed as a trust territory. Osea began constructing the International Space Elevator in the Gunther region; the IUN-PKF deployed ships and aircraft there to protect the structure from potential terrorist attacks.
Erusea and its surrounding countries expressed disapproval with the IUN and its perceived hostile activities. The peacekeeping force had a number of clashes with regional protestors. In 2014, a group of nationalists in the Erusean military took up the Free Erusean name and attempted to combat the IUN with force. The IUN-PKF ended the short-lived rebellion, but feared that it was a sign of future conflict.
By 2019, the IUN-PKF was mostly comprised of Osean Federation forces stationed at Tyler Island to support the space elevator. In May of that year, the Kingdom of Erusea opened the Lighthouse War, seized the space elevator and Tyler Island, and pushed the IUN's forces to the east of the continent. The Erusean Air Force successfully attacked the IUN's Fort Grays Island base and sank the Albatross aircraft carrier stationed there. Erusean forces also captured an air base in the Scofields Plateau formerly belonging to the IUN.
Osea ordered the IUN to mobilize a counteroffensive against Erusea and to rescue Osea's former President, Vincent Harling, who was hiding in the space elevator. Led by AWACS Sky Keeper, the IUN-PKF's aerial squadrons pushed back Erusean forces in the Scofields Plateau but failed to open a safe route in the Chopinburg Rainforest to the space elevator. The IUN instead opted to sneak in a single pilot, Trigger, through Erusea's radar network to help rescue Harling. The mission ended in failure after Harling was killed. The IUN's court-martial mistakenly convicted Trigger for the action, sentencing him to serve at Osea's 444th Air Base. They later pardoned Trigger after discovering an Erusean drone was responsible for killing Harling.
The IUN's role for the rest of the war was relatively minor. Osea's Long Range Strategic Strike Group landed at Gardos Air Base, an IUN-PKF forward base, following Operation Giant's Step but the IUN had little involvement with the unit.
After the war's end, the recurring threat of terrorism in northern Erusea prompted the IUN to reorganize itself. While Osean troops still represented a large amount of IUN-PKF units, more Usean military units were included. The IUN also began overseeing a new air defense force—separate from the peacekeeping force—specifically tasked to protect the new refugee camp at the space elevator.
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 "VR Mission 01", Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 "Charge Assault", Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Aces At War: A History 2019, page 98.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Aces At War: A History 2019, page 84.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 "Charge the Enemy", Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown.
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 "Made in Usea", Usea Reconstruction: Space Elevator Nearing Completion. Our Science. Retrieved January 19, 2019.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 Aces At War: A History 2019, page 76.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 "Two-pronged Strategy", Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 "Rescue", Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown.
- ↑ Aces At War: A History 2019, page 100.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 "The New System", Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown.
- ↑ Usea Today: Asteroid on Collision Course With Earth!
- ↑ ISAF Bulletin.
- ↑ Arcade Mode, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Aces At War: A History 2019, page 79.
- ↑ ［TGS 2018］「エースコンバット7」VRモードの詳細を主要開発スタッフに聞く。「サマーレッスン」チームが挑んだ“本物のパイロット体験”とは
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 17.2 17.3 "VR Mission 02", Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown.
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 "VR Mission 03", Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown.
- ↑ "This Means War", Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown.
- ↑ "444", Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown.
- ↑ "Transfer Orders", Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown.
- ↑ "Last Hope", Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown.
- ↑ "Battle for Farbanti", Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown.
- ↑ Aces At War: A History 2019, page 126.