The International Space Elevator,[a] commonly referred to as Lighthouse,[b] is a space elevator located next to Selatapura in Gunther Bay, Usea. The space elevator is controlled by a public company called ISEV and defended by two Arsenal Bird aerial warships.
Osean Federation President Vincent Harling proposed the International Space Elevator as a collaborative peacekeeping effort with Usean countries. Its primary purpose is to transmit solar energy collected in the atmosphere and distribute it to power planets on Earth. This energy is used to help Usea's reconstruction following the damage from Ulysses 1994XF04's impact that continues to plague the continent.
The International Space Elevator is 100,000 km (~62,137 miles) long from the base on Earth to the top of its cables in space, making it the tallest structure on the planet. The structure is connected to Selatapura by a long bridge that leads into the main entrance. From there, anyone entering the space elevator must pass through a Medical Quarantine Area before gaining access to the passenger elevator, the living quarters, or the main elevator. The main elevator—the central pillar that connects to space via cables—is surrounded by a Main Shaft supporting the structure on Earth. At the bottom of the main shaft are two horizontal shafts that connect to four Posture Control Systems to maintain the space elevator's posture.
Satellites with solar panels in geosynchronous orbit collect solar energy and convert it into microwaves. These satellites then transmit microwaves to the space elevator, which sends the microwaves to the surface of Earth. Power facilities underneath the space elevator's central base distribute the collected energy to Usean countries.
Ulysses 1994XF04 caused massive damage to Usea after its planetfall in July 1999, killing over half a million civilians and turning countless others into refugees in only two weeks. Usea's infrastructure was severely affected, especially Erusea's; the country's Minister of Foreign Affairs said in 2003 that "our land suffered the most damage and chaos of the entire continent." The ensuing refugee crisis led to the 2003–2005 Continental War, further ravaging the continent.
In 2008, Osea invited the Federation of Central Usea and Erusea's new provisional government to the G7 Summit on the Arkbird. Among other topics, their representatives discussed solutions to Usea's ongoing refugee crisis and remaining damage from Ulysses. Osea helped the FCU and Erusea reach agreements to collaborate on these issues.
Proposal and construction
By the mid-2010s, Usea's infrastructure still hadn't recovered from the Ulysses impacts. To solve the issue, Osean President Vincent Harling (also in office during the G7 Summit) offered to jointly develop a space elevator in the Usean continent. As a leader in space development, Osea would cover the initial investment costs and supply the technology to build the structure. Its solar power production would provide much-needed energy to help reconstruction efforts across the continent. The Usean countries welcomed the proposal and began to build the space elevator in Gunther Bay. Construction officially began in 2011; at the time, it was the largest joint international project since the Ulysses impact.
Speculation arose in some political circles that Osea was aiming to use the space elevator to take control of the Usean continent, similar to the Spring Sea Treaty situation that led to the Usean coup d'état. Erusea's officials in particular harbored animosity towards Osea.
In 2019, after years of tension and before the space elevator was fully completed, Erusea declared war on Osea and captured the space elevator. Erusea and its allies aimed to fight Osea's excessive interference and resource monopoly in Usea.
ISEV is a public company that controls the space elevator. The company name is an abbreviation of the structure's official name: International Space EleVator. The company's logo depicts the base of the space elevator.
- The International Space Elevator appears to resemble a smaller-scale X-Seed 4000, a hyper-tall building conceptualized by Peter Neville in 1995, proposed to be the tallest building in the world.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 File:Ace Combat 7 Skies Unknown - E3 2017 Trailer.
- ↑ "Dark Blue", Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 "「エースコンバット7」，ストーリーの導入部や最新スクリーンショットなどが公開。UGSFシリーズとの関連も明らかに" ["Ace Combat 7 story introduction and latest screenshots have been released. A clear connection to UGSF"]. 4gamer.net. Published on 21 June 2018. Retrieved on 21 June 2018.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 『エースコンバット7』開発陣インタビュー完全版！ 「3つの軸を追求します」. Famitsu. Published December 17, 2015. Retrieved December 19, 2015.
- ↑ File:International Space Elevator Blueprints.jpg.
- ↑ Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies - Perfect Guide, page 007.
- ↑ World / Asteroid Ulysses Enters the Atmosphere, AC04Web. Published 2001. Retrieved January 30, 2017.
- ↑ War?
- ↑ Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies.
- ↑ Arkbird Declaration: Summit 2008.
- ↑ "「エースコンバット7」，ストーリーの導入部や最新スクリーンショットなどが公開。UGSFシリーズとの関連も明らかに" ["Ace Combat 7 story introduction and latest screenshots have been released. A clear connection to UGSF"]. 4gamer.net. Published on 21 June 2018. Retrieved on 21 June 2018.