John Herbert (also known as John Harvard in previous games), callsign Slash, was a mercenary pilot who fought in the Usean coup d'état. He signed on with the Scarface Squadron when Operation Fighter's Honor came into effect, and accompanied Phoenix on certain missions.
Shortly after the war's end, he left the Usean Allied Forces and returned to his birthplace in central Usea. He was later offered a position in the STN Air Policing Squadron. During his interview for the position, he was busy chatting with the maintenance crew. He also had meals with Dr. Jan Tomic whenever they were both on daytime duty.
He excels as a pilot, but lacks leadership skills and prefers supporting roles instead. His hobbies include tinkering with cars. He also converted an empty hangar into his own personal garage. It is also implied that he is a womanizer according to his in-game dialogue.
- There is much confusion about the true identity of Slash in Ace Combat 2 due to the following two names being given:
- It is likely that Slash's surname was originally Harvard but retconned to Herbert in Legacy. Due to the conflicting situation, Acepedia officially considers John Herbert to be the name of the pilot that flew with Phoenix as well as in the Stonehenge defense squadron, and John Harvard to strictly be the name of the Arkbird astronaut. It is up to our readers to have differing opinions or headcanons considering all available information.
- Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere - Mission & World View Guide Book, page 182.
- Data Viewer, Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy.
- Titan Guns.
- Aces At War: A History. Page 22.