- This article is about an in-game mission. For the in-universe event, see Operation Judgement Day.
Megalith is the 18th and final campaign mission of Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies. The Megalith missile-launch facility has been activated, and the player must destroy it to prevent any further civilian deaths from the barrage of asteroid fragments raining on the Usean continent.
A group of young Erusian [sic] officers have taken over Megalith, the superweapon that was under development. Megalith is a rocket launch facility that can shoot down asteroid fragments in orbit. The only way to destroy this highly dangerous and fortified facility is to hit it from the inside. Follow the missile port grooves to find the three generators deep within the facility. Destroy the generators to access the central heat vent. Once inside, destroy the giant missile in the central silo. An infiltration unit will secure your escape route. Their plan calls for waiting until the generators are offline, and then taking over the sub control room once the blackout hits. Enter this rat's nest with full confidence that the unit will get you out again. It's highly likely that this will be your final mission. Remember, we need heroes after the war too. Make it back in one piece. Dismissed!
Good morning troops. I have an important announcement. In one hour, each one of you will take part in the most important mission in our history - a mission that will result in the defeat of the vile enemy who has brought chaos to our continent. Although we are from different nations and of different races, we have fought, suffered and died together, fighting for what we believe in - fighting for freedom. Today, we shall gather for our final battle, to liberate our beautiful continent and restore freedom to our people, our friends, and our families. Our victory will herald the beginning of a new era of prosperity for the Usean continent. Victory will be ours! We shall return peace to our people, and win back our freedom, and our future! The skies belong to everyone! Now, let us take back our shattered skies!
The player will spawn alongside multiple allied aircraft, flying head-on towards the Megalith defense squadron. They are not mission-important and can be ignored, though the player can shoot them down if desired.
Whether ignoring them or shooting them down, the player must make way through the defense squadron towards Megalith and enter its large tunnels along the western, eastern, and northern axes of the facility. Inside each tunnel, the player will have access to one of three generators, which must be destroyed.
Once all three generators are destroyed, a smaller tunnel opens in the center of the facility, between the large east and west tunnels. The player must enter this center tunnel and destroy the giant missile, then pull up and fly out the exit hatch. At this point, the mission will be completed.
|Mission Update||MISSILE||500||4||[note 1]|
|S-37 "SMIRNOVA"||240||1||[note 2]|
An S rank for this mission requires 4,290 points on Normal difficulty or above (3,690 points on Easy difficulty or below). The player earns 2,490 points by destroying the TGTs; the rest must be earned by destroying the secondary missiles in the Mission Update and at least half of the defense squadron.
No debriefing is available for this mission, even when played during Free Flight.
- In the Japanese briefing, the term 最終兵器 is more accurately translated as "doomsday weapon" or "ultimate weapon" instead of "superweapon".
- The player can actually avoid fighting the defense squadron completely by flying straight past them. However, particularly on the tougher difficulty modes (e.g. Hard, Expert, Ace), if the player avoids the enemy squadron, they will shoot down all of the Mobius planes, and approach Megalith, making the player's job tougher.
- Megalith consistently fires small missiles to the sky, supposedly weaponizing asteroids, but the player cannot engage them. Once the Mission Update is triggered, four larger missiles will be uncovered. However, only the largest missile in the central silo is mission-important.
- It is possible to ignore the large target missile and fly through the open hatch. This will trigger a special cutscene showing the missile launch and a frantic alert telling all aircraft to retreat, following by the mission failing.
- Though the roll call at the beginning of the mission has Mobius 2 through 8 report in, other callsigns call out during mission dialogue, including Mobius 9, 13, and 15.
- Interestingly, there are not that many Mobius aircraft in the mission, indicating some numbers were skipped over.
- If the player returns to base while flying a land-based aircraft, they can see a damaged Su-35 taxiing. Additionally, there are two F-22s with the Mobius insignia parked on the ramp.
- If the player manages to fly through one of Megalith's lasers, they will not be harmed.
- These missiles will take off if not destroyed quickly enough.
- The player must have completed the campaign, and must be playing on Normal difficulty or higher. Located far north of Megalith.
- Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies - Official Guide Book, pages 064-065.
- Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies - Perfect Guide, pages 126-129.
- Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies - Official Guide Book, page 016.
|Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies Missions|