Megalith -Agnus Dei- is a song of the Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies Original Soundtrack; it is featured as the 13th track on Disc 2. It was composed by Keiki Kobayashi and its lyrics were performed by Namco Hometek Choir (a group of choral singers hired by Namco). It's the main theme of Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies final mission, Megalith.
Megalith -Agnus Dei- follows the same musical style that dominates most of the soundtrack; it combines electronic percussion with a backing of brass instruments, cellos and drums, over which the chorus is laid.
The song's lyrics have never been officially released, though auditory analysis indicates the lyrics are taken from the Agnus Dei liturgical text used in many Christian churches. This text has been used many times in musical arrangements. The text reads:
- Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis.
Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis.
Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, dona nobis pacem.
This translates to the following English text:
- Lamb of God, you who take away the sins of the world, have mercy upon us.
Lamb of God, you who take away the sins of the world, have mercy upon us.
Lamb of God, you who take away the sins of the world, grant us peace.
The phrase "Agnus Dei" is Latin for "Lamb of God", a title given to Jesus as attested in the Gospel of John (specifically John 1:29: "Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world"). Together with Rex Tremendae at the start of the mission and the plot of Operation Judgement Day, the following can be inferred by Megalith -Agnus Dei-'s lyrics:
- Mobius 1 represents Jesus, the sacrificial Lamb of God.
- Megalith, the weapon of mass destruction and the epitome of Erusea's "sins", represents the megalith upon which Mobius 1 is sacrificed. In a subversion of this reference, however, Mobius 1 survives the battle.
- This song was used in I Wanna Be The Boshy's final boss level.
- On February 4, 2017, Bandai Namco hosted the first Orchestral Memories concert in Paris. "Megalith -Agnus Dei-" and "FIRES OF LIBERATION" from Ace Combat 6 were both performed live for the first time (alongside "Zero" and "The Unsung War", which had been previously performed).
- The Lamb of God. Sergei Bulgakov. ISBN 0-8028-2779-9. Published 2008.
- I Wanna Be The Boshy - Solgryn: Final Boss (All Attacks & Credits) YouTube. Published by MyEveryRottenGiggles on September 9, 2011. Retrieved on August 28, 2015.
- . Facebook, by AceCombatHawx. Published on February 10, 2017. Retrieved on February 11, 2017.