Mihaly Dumitru Margareta Corneliu Leopold Blanca Karol Aeon Ignatius Raphael Maria Niketas A. Shilage[a] is a former ace pilot flying for the Erusean Air and Space Administration. He took part in many conflicts and shot down countless opponents, eventually earning him the nickname of "King of the Skies" from comrades and enemies alike. 
Mihaly was once in the line of succession for the Grand Duchy of Shilage. However, the country underwent a revolution and Mihaly's family was removed from power. A close friend turned on him and nearly killed him during this conflict.
The revolution, however, was essentially doomed by coming to pass during Erusea's age of expansion. After a period of revolutionary rule, Shilage was annexed by the rising regional power. Erusea, however, restored the titles as well as some of the influences held by Mihaly and his family prior to the revolution. Despite having largely retained his status (which presumably exempted him from military service), Mihaly allowed himself to be conscripted like a common Erusean citizen. He was accepted into the Erusean Air Force by order of the then Erusean king, ultimately proving the merits of this decision by distinguishing himself as an ace pilot. Even after the deposing of the monarchy and the formation of the Federal Republic, he continued to serve the new regime until 1991, after which he was transferred to Erusean Air and Space Administration and worked as a test pilot. His role involved frequent flights in the outer layers of the atmosphere, which would take a toll on his health as he got older.
Training Yellow 13
The 2019 edition of Aces At War: A History implies in a short story titled "The White Notebook" that Mihaly was the one who trained Yellow 13. Supposedly, the trainee collided with Mihaly during a training flight. Just that the younger pilot had maneuvered with him well enough to actually collide impressed Mihaly.
His work for the EASA contributed greatly to the Erusean military build up in the 2010s, which saw the kingdom's air force substantially augmented with unmanned combat aerial vehicles, by providing technical and behavioral templates for the UCAVs' artificial intelligence. After the initial Erusean success during the Lighthouse War and the subsequent Osean-led IUN counteroffensive in 2019, under the guise of generating improved data for UCAV development, he returned to active combat duty. Although he suffered greatly under the effects of intense g-forces while dogfighting, his skills, experience, and heavily modified Su-30SM made him a terror among the IUN forces, who dubbed him "Mister X".
He crossed paths with Trigger for the first time right as Erusea used one of its recently-commandeered Arsenal Bird drone carriers to break up an IUN operation over Chopinburg Rainforest; although neither directly engaged one another, he shot down one of Trigger's allies, Brownie, as the latter was separated from the rest of the Osean forces and ordered to return to base due to battle damage. Later Mihaly and Sol Squadron engaged Spare Squadron over Yinshi Valley. After first toying with then swiftly taking down Champ, he then lured Trigger away from the rest of Spare Squadron as the two pilots engaged in a lengthy low-altitude dogfight through the mountain valleys. Mihaly was intrigued by Trigger's ability to mitigate otherwise critical damages as well as avoid taking fire entirely. After several minutes of intense maneuvering, Trigger eventually landed a few difficult hits on Mihaly's plane, dealing substantial damage. Due to the worsening weather conditions and the damage he'd sustained, Mihaly's wingmen urged for retreat. Mihaly complied and Sol Squadron withdrew having sustained no losses.
Before the battle for Farbanti, Mihaly was given a new specialized flight suit that was effective in eliminating problems related to high g-forces. Later, he and Sol Squadron engaged the Osean Long Range Strategic Strike Group as Osean forces drew nearer to victory. After dealing considerable damage to Osean naval and ground forces, he was able to shoot down LRSSG's Fencer and flight lead, Wiseman, instantly killing the latter in the process. Shortly after, he was hit multiple times by Trigger and his plane sustained severe damage once more. Before he could be shot down, however, the A-SAT strikes conducted by both Osea and Erusea caused confusion among the IUN and Erusean forces, allowing him and his escorts to escape. As the Erusean military splintered due to the resulting collapse of all long-range communications in the region, he and the rest of Sol Squadron broke away and dedicated themselves to the defense of Shilage and the neighboring Voslage.
During the battle at Shilage castle, as Sol Squadron pilots Roald and Hermann were shot down by the raiding Osean Strider Squadron, Mihaly entered the battle in a prototype X-02S Strike Wyvern armed with an experimental railgun and engaged Trigger in a dogfight for a third and final time. A lengthy duel ensued; in the end Trigger finally shot down Mihaly. Before his communication went out, Mihaly pleaded for Trigger to put a stop to Erusea's drone production.
Mihaly survived being shot down and was rescued soon after. The strain and stress from continuous aerial combat, coupled with the injuries resulted from his final duel with Trigger, crippled his body to the point of preventing him from flying again. As a result of these injuries, he was forced to retire from active duty to spend the rest of his life at his home.
Shilage is an alternate spelling of Szilágyi, a Hungarian surname.
Mihaly's callsign, "Archange," is French for Archangel.
- There are parallels between Mihaly and Trigger skill-wise:
- While dueling Trigger during Operation Two Pairs, Mihaly will note that Trigger is able to position his plane to deflect missiles away from critical components. This trick is used nimbly by Mihaly, as noted by Count during Operation Beehive.
- Mihaly will note that Trigger's skill compensates for the limitation of his plane's assistance system, whereas Mihaly himself will gradually disengage his X-02S counterpart in their duel while increasing the aggressiveness and accuracy of his EML attacks.
- Both Mihaly and Trigger have reckless flying styles. Some of the former's notable tricks include flying straight towards the sun or the ground at high speed before sharply turning back. He is also able to weave between any vertical hazards.
- During the cutscene following the first phase of Lighthouse, an Su-30SM sporting his livery can be spotted.
- ↑ Mihaly Dumitru Margareta Corneliu Leopold Blanca Karol Aeon Ignatius Raphael Maria Niketas A. Shilage (ミハイ・ドゥミトル・マルガレータ・コルネリウ・レオポルド・ブランカ・カロル・イオン・イグナチウス・ラファエル・マリア・ニケタス・ア・シラージ)
- ↑ https://twitter.com/kylehebert/status/1086314811191771136
- ↑ Ace Combat 7 Skies Unknown - Gamescom 2018 Trailer.
- ↑ https://famigeki.tumblr.com/post/177274762471/ace-combat-7-skies-unknown
- ↑ Rose Emblem, Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
- ↑ "The White Notebook," Aces At War: A History
- ↑ Megalith (mission), Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 First Contact, Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Lost Kingdom, Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown.
- ↑ Battle for Farbanti, Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown.