The Multi-Purpose Burst Missile (MPBM) is an experimental missile-type special weapon, featuring similar properties to a burst missile. In the Strangereal universe, it was developed by the South Belka Munitions Factory. In the Infinity universe, the developer is unknown. It was designed for the ADFX-01 and ADFX-02 Morgan aircraft.
The Multi-Purpose Burst Missile is a large missile, painted mostly black with a yellow trim and a red nose on its warhead. Its warhead is believed to be loaded with a unique and very sensitive polynitrogen compound, causing a large blast radius that can destroy clusters of enemy targets in one impact.
On the ADFX-02 model, the MPBM can be dropped from behind the aircraft or at an angle similar to countermeasures, and then remotely detonated. On the ADFX-01 model, it acts as a standard missile and can lock onto a target, but will not explode unless it hits the ground or misses its target. The ADFX-01 cannot remotely detonate it.
In its development in the Infinity universe, the MPBM's warhead was designed to create three explosions in the same blast radius rather than the one in Strangereal. Each of these explosions do the same damage.
The Multi-Purpose Burst Missile, codenamed "Hyperthene", was developed by the South Belka Munitions Factory as one of the two prototype weapons to be tested on the Morgan units. Some MPBMs were stolen with an ADFX-02 unit by A World With No Boundaries, and they were used by Larry Foulke during his duel with Cipher over the Avalon Dam.
It is unknown where the Multi-Purpose Burst Missile originated from. While the design plans for the Morgan were stolen from a certain country allied with the USEA Federation, it is unknown if these plans included the MPBM, since only the Tactical Laser System was featured as part of the testing on the ADFX-01 -Block1-.
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
- "A cluster missile, exploding when close to a target. It releases explosive warheads, damaging a wide area. It locks onto air or surface targets, and is particularly useful against a group of concentrated targets."
- ― Hangar
Ace Combat Infinity
- "A burst missile that splits apart when it gets close to the locked on target. It is capable of locking on to air-to-air and air-to-ground targets, causing a wide-area attack in the vicinity of the point of impact. It is an extremely effective guided weapon against a cluster of targets, either in the air or on the ground."
- ― Hangar
- ADFX-01 Morgan (Lv.4)
- ADFX-01 -Pixy- (Lv.4)
- T-50 -Akula- (Lv.7)
- ADA-01B ADLER (Lv.1)
- ADA-01B -Vanquish- (Lv.1)
|Total Credit Price from Lv.0 to Lv.5||1,424,520|
- The similarities between the MPBM and Yuktobania's burst missiles are never explained in canon. Likely scenarios include Yuktobania acquiring the design of the MPBM from Belka as part of the treaty at Lumen, the two countries developing them in parallel, or Yuktobania outright stealing the design from Belka.
- The MPBM's explosion effect is notable for being extremely bright, especially in missions that take place with less sunlight such as Bastion or Dubai Night Assault. If a player is flying within the explosion, they won't be damaged by it directly, but it is easier to crash into the ground by not seeing where they're flying.
- The MPBM was used to replace the SDBM, the unique special weapon on the ADA-01 ADLER.
- The price for a level 2 MPBM is 66,600, without the 0s it is 666 which could be a reference to the Galm Team.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Zero. Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War.
- ↑ Tested during gameplay in Ace Combat Infinity. If the player fires an MPBM at an aircraft in motion and the missile misses, it will soon explode in the air.
- ↑ Ace Combat Infinity gameplay.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Aces At War: A History. Page 19.
- ↑ Description of the ADFX-01 Block1 Morgan. Ace Combat Infinity.