- This article is about an in-game mission. For the in-universe event, see Operation Gyre.
- "Geez, how many planes they got lined up at the border? We've only got four on our side...we'd better abort."
- ― Jack Bartlett
Open War is the second level of Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
A ship of unknown origin has been detected approaching the Sand Island coastline. We've confirmed that this ship has launched numerous unmanned aerial vehicles probably used for reconnaissance. The UAV will likely return to the launch ship for retrieval after completing their spy operations. You are to halt this operation by intercepting and destroying these recon drones before they can be recovered by the ship. However, do not attack the ship until further orders are transmitted.
As Chopper fails to outrun the fighters and Heartbreak One engages them, they become the mission's primary targets. Shooting them down causes another squadron of three fighters to appear. Shooting them down ends the mission.
|Mission Update||MiG-21bis||220||4||[note 1]|
|MiG-29A Fulcrum||320||4||[note 2]|
The reconnaissance UAV and the unidentified fighter aircraft that bounced us during the mission have been shot down. The country of origin of the ship is still unknown but it has ceased operations in our maritime defense zone and has departed the area. Once we sanitize our coastal waters we will conduct a search and rescue mission to find Captain Bartlett, who was shot down. Furthermore, the Union of Yuktobanian Republics has officially declared war on the Osean Federation.
- This is the last mission in which Bartlett is captain of Wardog Squadron.
- These enemies will appear after all initial UAVs are shot down.
- These enemies will appear after all 4 MiG-21bis are shot down.
- Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War Perfect Guide, pages 064-065.