- This article is about the country. For the continent, see Osea (continent).
Osea, officially the Osean Federation,[a] is a massive Strangereal country and international superpower located on the Osean continent. Osea encompasses a majority of the continent's western landmass and shares land borders with Belka, Ustio, and Sapin to the east and Perbla to the south. Its capital, Oured, is located on the tip of Osea's southeastern peninsula near Oured Bay.
Osea is a highly developed country that possesses a large population, an extensive infrastructure, a thriving economy, and a well-outfitted military force, the Osean Defense Forces. Osea is also considered one of the world's foremost leaders in aeronautics and space-exploration development. The country's achievements include the construction of the Strategic Orbital Linear Gun, the Arkbird (a joint program with Yuktobania), and the International Space Elevator.
By virtue of its world power, Osea held expansionist ideologies and annexed new territories throughout the 20th century. The country's aggressive nature directly resulted in major conflicts such as the Osean War, the Belkan War, and the Usean coup d'état. A rivalry also existed between Osea and Yuktobania, which led to the Cold War in the 1980s and 1990s.
In the 21st century, especially following the election of President Vincent Harling, Osea's expansionism was curtailed and the country diminished its military power to follow a more peaceful foreign policy. Despite the Circum-Pacific War against Yuktobania, which was orchestrated by Belkan extremists as revenge for the Belkan War, this policy of peace continued into the 2010s. However, due to previous tensions and miscommunication regarding the development of the International Space Elevator, the Kingdom of Erusea declared war on Osea in 2019, leading to the Lighthouse War.
Osea was formed sometime in or prior to the 19th century. The country's first capital was located in Bana City, but this was changed at some point to Oured. According to early navigational charts, Bana City and Oured existed for quite some time.
Osean War (1905–1910)
Osea began to expand its territory by the 1900s. In 1905, this expansionism caused the outbreak of the Osean War with Belka. Over the next five years, Belka became the first country to use aircraft for warfare and create an air force; Osea followed suit by forming the Osean Air Defense Force.
Cold War (1980s–1995)
Over the course of the mid-20th century, Osea flourished and continued to expand its political influence around the globe. By the 1980s, Osea was in the midst of a cold war with the Union of Yuktobanian Republics, its rival superpower across the Ceres Ocean. The ongoing arms race compelled Osea to develop atmospheric weapon systems under the Strategic Defense Initiative to counter Yuktobania's developments in missile technology. This led to the construction of the Strategic Orbital Linear Gun (SOLG), a massive Kinetic Energy Weapon that would drop shells from orbit to destroy missile silos. The concept of a "maneuverable orbiting spacecraft" was also created under the Strategic Defense Initiative.
As part of the Cold War, Osea continued to heavily expand its military, particularly its air force, by acquiring new recruits. The Rearmament Declaration in October 1990 shifted around some of its personnel between the branches and created new units. The most notable example was the creation of the Wizard Squadron and its secondary unit, Sorcerer Squadron. Austin Winters, a member of the Osean Army, was transferred to the Sorcerer Squadron alongside Anthony Palmer and Todd Barry. Osea also commissioned the creation of a new aircraft carrier, the OFS Kestrel, in 1991. The ship was completed sometime over the next four years.
Around this era, Osea was also surveying the world for potential troves of natural resources. Looking eastward, Osea had reason to believe that underground resources were present in Belka's southeastern region, which would come to be named Ustio. Belka was undergoing economic turmoil at the time, so Osea took advantage of the situation. The country helped push for Ustio's independence, which was successful in May 1988. Osea also purchased pieces of land from Belka, most notably the Five Great Lakes and intersecting islands between the two countries. This brought several Belkan cities such as Wesson and Rutherford under Osean control.
Osea offered a joint expedition with Belka to explore potential natural resources around the Five Great Lakes, where Belka would get to share the profits. Belka agreed, but the company quickly collapsed; Osea had exaggerated on the amount of resources in the region, and Belka's economy was further destabilized. Anti-Osean sentiment grew heavily within Belka as a result.
Belkan War (1995)
In March 1995, Belka declared war on all of its neighbors and invaded much of the territory Osea had acquired in the Great Lakes sale. In response, Osea created and led the Allied Forces, a temporary alliance between Osea and two other countries Belka had invaded: Ustio and Sapin. Surprisingly, Yuktobania joined the Allied Forces as well, which began the reconciliation process between Osea and Yuktobania. The Allied Forces signed a nonaggression treaty, agreeing to only act in self-defense and not to invade Belkan territory.
On April 24, Osea launched Offensive Campaign No. 4101 with its 3rd Osean Naval Fleet (including the OFS Kestrel, which was undergoing sea trials) to capture the Futuro Canal and open a sea route into Belka. From there, Osea's 101st and 122nd Airborne Divisions, supported by Ustio's mercenary Galm Team, performed a paratroop operation to secure Solis Ortus and liberate Directus, the capital of Ustio. In the meantime, Osea accelerated development of the SOLG, presumably to use it against Belka and end the war quickly.
Invasion of Belka
In late May, Osea received intel that Belka was developing a new weapon of mass destruction known as V2. Using V2 as casus belli for self-defense, Osea spearheaded an invasion into Belkan territory. Belka used the Excalibur laser tower in retaliation against the invading troops, prompting the Allied Forces to send Galm Team and Crow Team to destroy Excalibur.
On May 28, the Allied Forces permanently abrogated the nonaggression treaty at the Assembly of Nations and simultaneously launched an assault to capture Area B7R, a strategic and symbolic area for Belka. With the help of Galm and Crow Teams, despite Belkan reinforcements, the Allied Forces captured B7R. Osea then performed a bombing raid on Hoffnung to cripple Belka's industrial power and began marching through the Waldreich Mountains towards Sudentor.
Cessation of hostilities
During a skirmish at Sudentor on June 6, Belka detonated seven nuclear warheads in the Waldreich Mountains, killing over 12,000 Belkan civilians. Osea, the other Allied Forces members, and Belka agreed to an immediate cease-fire. Despite remnant resistance over the next month, the Allied Forces and Belka signed a treaty in Lumen to officially end the Belkan War on June 20. The treaty was one-sided and heavily favored Osea; the country annexed the entire state of South Belka and renamed it "North Osea". Historically Belkan cities, such as Lumen and Sudentor, were now assimilated by Osea and the South Belka Munitions Factory was renamed to "North Osea Gründer Industries". Over the next ten years, Osea would begin tracking down every member of the Belkan Air Force, adding them to a database, and attempting to capture war criminals and dangerous people.
A terrorist organization, A World With No Boundaries, began operations against Osea and the other Allied Forces members in December 1995, prompting an immediate counterattack. Osean pilots joined the Galm Team in striking against the organization at Avalon Dam, and Cipher, Galm Team's flight lead, helped to destroy the V2 missile that they tried to launch. Osea's investigation into the Belkan Air Force expanded into investigating A World With No Boundaries members.
Era of peace (1996–2010)
Ulysses Impact Event and Usean treaty
On April 20, 1996, the Federation of Central Usea announced the existence of the Ulysses 1994XF04 which was to strike the Usean continent (and, later discovered, the Anean continent). Refugees began immigrating out of Usea; Osea's capital, Oured, accepted the largest number of refugees compared to other cities. Osea expressed desire to assist Usea in building Stonehenge but could not due to post-Belkan War reconstruction.
The next year, a group of southern Usean countries decided to join the Osean Federation. Despite backlash from their neighbors, Osea extended an offer of military allegiance known as the Spring Sea Treaty. On May 30, 1997, the day the treaty was to be signed, an extremist terrorist organization took control of the entire continent, resulting in the Usean coup d'état.
Creation of the Arkbird
Following the Ulysses Impact Event in July 1999, the remaining meteors stuck in Earth's atmosphere became a threat to satellites along with the potential that they could strike outside of Usea and Anea. Osea decided, with Yuktobania's assistance, to create the Arkbird out of the "maneuverable orbiting spacecraft" concept from the Strategic Defense Initiative in the 1980s. The Arkbird was outfitted with a laser on top to destroy Ulysses fragments, which could not physically attack anything below the spacecraft. By 2008, the Arkbird had already vaporized over 80% of the remaining Ulysses fragments. In cooperation with other countries, Osea and Yuktobania also proposed an International Space Station.
In 2004, Vincent Harling was elected as the 48th President of the Osean Federation. Throughout his first term, Harling's peace policies strengthened Osea's ties to Yuktobania and led to the creation of Basset Space Center. In 2008, Harling was reelected to a second term. That year, Osea hosted the G7 Summit aboard the Arkbird. Osea personally invited the provisional government of Erusea to help promote peace on the Usean continent. The meeting saw a historic push to ratify several anti-proliferation treaties, including a Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty and a Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty. The move was seen as a further strengthening of bonds between Osea and Yuktobania, as well as the nations of the world.
Circum-Pacific War (2010)
In late September 2010, Osea experienced a series of airspace intrusions by Yuktobanian Air Force aircraft shortly before its former ally declared war on September 27. Over the coming days, Osea fended off several Yuktobanian air strikes. The Yuktobanian submarine Scinfaxi sank the OFS Vulture and Buzzard aircraft carriers, prompting Osea to install an air-to-ground laser module on the Arkbird. The combined power of the Arkbird and Wardog Squadron sank the Scinfaxi off the shore of Sand Island Air Force Base.
On October 22, President Harling attempted to meet with Yuktobanian Prime Minister Seryozha Viktrovich Nikanor in the neutral country of North Point to initiate peace talks. However, Harling's transport plane, Mother Goose One, was forced to make an emergency landing with the help of Wardog Squadron after the plane was shot at by friendly SAM defenses and an onboard spy shot the pilots. The 8492nd Squadron relieved Wardog Squadron but captured Harling and presumably killed the others on board. At the same time, a bomb carried aboard a shipment to the Arkbird disabled its power generator, preventing it from being used any further.
Following these events, the hawkish Vice President Appelrouth usurped control of the Osean government and sanctioned a full-scale ground invasion of Yuktobania in November. In the midst of the assault, a Yuktobanian engineering college was fired upon by aircraft identified as Osean. In retaliation, Yuktobanian commandos performed two simultaneous terrorist attacks within Osean territory. Osea then sanctioned deep-strike operations against Yuktobanian military bases, and the Wardog Squadron sank the Hrimfaxi in the Razgriz Straits, earning them the "Demons of Razgriz" nickname.
Later that month, the Vice President hosted a ceremony in November City with Wardog doing a flyby. The ceremony was attacked by Yuktobanian aircraft, and the 8492nd Squadron temporarily called off Osea's reinforcements, forcing Wardog Squadron to defend the stadium on their own. Wardog's Alvin H. Davenport was shot down and killed in the battle before reinforcements finally arrived.
Osea's invasion into Yuktobania continued, with the fall of Cruik Fortress on December 6. That night, Wardog Squadron was branded as traitors and shot down over the Solo Islands the next morning. Over the next couple of weeks, Osean forces attempted to capture Cinigrad, Yuktobania's capital, but repeatedly failed due to the lack of air support. The land invasion slowly bogged down.
Return of Razgriz
The members of Wardog had secretly bailed out and escaped to the OFS Kestrel, which began clandestine operations against a group of nationalistic Belkans known as the Grey Men, of which the 8492nd Squadron was a part. The Wardog members rescued President Harling, who officially assigned the fugitive airmen to the new, secret Razgriz Squadron. Harling returned to the capital in late December. Razgriz Squadron also rescued Yuktobania's Prime Minister Nikanor, who was being held in a Yuktobanian prison following a coup d'état.
At the same time, Razgriz Squadron worked to eliminate the threat of nuclear weapons the Grey Men were attempting to use against Osea and Yuktobania. The Razgriz pilots sealed the Yering Mine, which held most of them, assisted a Yuktobanian resistance group in dismantling one warhead, and shot down the Arkbird before it could use another nuke. The Kestrel Fleet also engaged a Yuktobanian fleet and an Osean fleet that were firing on the Kestrel and her allies, which included some defecting Yuktobanians. The Osean fleet was led by the OFS Barbet, which Razgriz sunk along with all other vessels carrying out acts of aggression against them.
President Harling and Prime Minister Nikanor held a press conference on December 30, while Razgriz Squadron and its allies performed an assault on Gründer Industries in Sudentor, which had taken control of the abandoned SOLG and loaded a V2 onto it. Razgriz entered the Gründer tunnel that held the SOLG's control system and destroyed it. A fail-safe on the SOLG triggered it to fall towards Oured; Razgriz took off, shot down the defending Grabacr and Ofnir Squadrons, and destroyed the SOLG harmlessly over Oured Bay.
The Osean government, led by President Harling once again, kept the circumstances of the Circum-Pacific War confidential for several years. In 2013, Harling announced that all documents related to the war would be released in 2020.
At some point, multiple nations contributed to the development of the International Space Elevator in Axel Bay, Usea. Osea developed multiple Arsenal Birds, equipped with MQ-101 UAVs, and sent them to defend the Space Elevator. Osea also began rebuilding its naval force, commissioning the Kestrel II and Vulture aircraft carriers.
Lighthouse War (2019)
On May 15, 2019, the Kingdom of Erusea declared war on the Osean Federation, using drones to attack multiple ports across the Osean mainland and sinking numerous Osean aircraft carriers. Shortly afterward, Erusea also took control of the International Space Elevator and both Arsenal Birds. In retaliation, the aircraft carrier Kestrel II launched a failed assault on Farbanti, during which, Osean aircraft caused civilian casualties, resulting in international distaste towards Osea. Erusea soon after gained control over the majority of the Usean continent. Attempting to counterattack, Osea launched a failed two-front offensive involving a second Farbanti assault and Operation Dual Wielder.
With their strategies proving fruitless, Osea opted to rescue its former president, Vincent Harling, who was touring the space elevator when it was captured. During the rescue operation, Mother Goose One was shot down by an Osean aircraft. Afterward, the IUN court-martialled Trigger for allegedly killing Harling and sentenced him to serve in the penal unit Spare Squadron. Over the next few months, Spare participated in many near-suicide missions, crippling Erusean bases, drone fuel supplies, and communications facilities. Following their successes, Spare was recognized as a legitimate Osean Air Defense Force squadron.
In August, the Long Range Strategic Strike Group sunk the Njord Fleet and Erusean Navy platform at Snider's Top and subsequently helped the Osean forces utilize Stonehenge to shoot down Arsenal Bird Liberty. On September 19, Osea finally captured Farbanti and destroyed communications satellites which Erusea had hacked earlier in the war. Concurrently, Erusea eliminated Osean satellites in orbit as well, throwing the entire Usean continent into chaos.
With communications down, Osean forces were forced to continue despite being isolated. On October 1, the LRSSG attempted to escort Erusean Army General Édouard Labarthe, who was willing to cooperate with Osea. However, Labarthe's transport was shot down by Osean aircraft given falsified information by AWACS Argus. Nine days later, the LRSSG rescued Osean forces stranded on Tyler Island.
On October 31, a coalition of Osean and Erusean forces launched a combined operation which resulted in the destruction of Arsenal Bird Justice around the International Space Elevator. The following day, remaining aircraft engaged two ADF-11F Ravens attempting to transmit collected data through by using the space elevator. Ultimately, Trigger shot down both drones, flying into the space elevator in doing so.
Osea encompasses a massive amount of land on the northern section of the Osean continent. Its size is only rivaled by Yuktobania, which is the largest country on Strangereal's Earth. Most of Osea's territory has a temperate climate, but its northern lands and islands, close to the Arctic Ocean, are covered in snow and ice. Osea also controls many islands surrounding its land, including Sand Island, the Solo Islands, and Kirwin Island to the west.
The majority of Osea is surrounded by water, but it does share some land borders to the east (with Belka, Sapin, and Ustio) and south. Its capital, Oured, is located on a peninsula next to Oured Bay, which itself is linked to the Spring Sea to the southeast.
Osea is a democratic federal republic, headed by a popularly-elected President and Vice President who assume the executive office in four-year terms. Other executive roles in Osea's government include a Foreign Minister. The government is also sub-divided into many departments with their own assigned duties, such as the Ministry, and later Department, of Defense and the Osean Aerospace Bureau.
As a federal republic, Osea's territory is divided into smaller, individual states, supposedly with their own smaller governments. One notable state is the state of North Osea, formerly the state of "South Belka".
Osea supports one of the largest and most well-equipped military forces in the world. Known as the Osean Defense Forces, the nation's military is comprised of the Osean Air Defense Force, the Osean Maritime Defense Force (which supports a marine division), the Osean Army, and Osean Coastal Defense Force.
Osea's economy appears to be thriving throughout the late 20th and early 21st centuries. The country is capable of redirecting its funds to massively expand its military or to progress in space development without much impact to the rest of the country. Osea's national currency is the Zollar (Ƶ).
- The Osean flag resembles the flag of the European Union.
- Osea is generally considered to be an allegory of the United States of America, though Osea's military branches being designated as a "Defense Force" are based on Israel and Japan.
- ↑ Osean Federation (オーシア連邦 Ōshia Renpō)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Aces At War: A History, page 112.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 From Above: Spring 2009.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Aces At War: A History, page 136.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Aces, Demons, and Ghosts: Mysterious Heroes of the Belkan Conflict.
- ↑ File:Old Strangereal Map Wallpaper 1024x768.jpg
- ↑ ACE COMBAT ZERO -> World -> World News -> World News 22.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Aces At War: A History, page 134.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 8.5 GAZE: Arkbird Declaration Summit 2008. Retrieved June 19, 2017.
- ↑ Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War Perfect Guide, page 237.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War Perfect Guide Book, page 185.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Assault Records #144: Todd Barry, Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War.
- ↑ Assault Records #140: Austin Winters, Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War.
- ↑ PS2/エースコンバット５ | BACKGROUND | 設定資料. Retrieved June 20, 2017.
- ↑ Aces At War: A History, page 135.
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War Perfect Guide, page 248.
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 16.2 Cutscene 02, Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War.
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 WORLD / WORLD NEWS / ПОСЛЕДУЙТЕ, Ace Combat 5 Website. Retrieved January 9, 2017.
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 18.2 Cutscene 21, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 Mayhem, Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War.
- ↑ Juggernaut, Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War.
- ↑ Flicker of Hope, Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War.
- ↑ Diapason, Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War.
- ↑ Cutscene 23, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ Bastion, Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War.
- ↑ Sword of Annihilation, Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War.
- ↑ The Inferno, Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War.
- ↑ 27.0 27.1 The Stage of Apocalypse, Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War.
- ↑ Cutscene 09, Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War.
- ↑ The Final Overture, Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War.
- ↑ 30.0 30.1 Cutscene 10, Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War.
- ↑ Cutscene 07, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ Cutscene 16, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ Assault Records, Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War.
- ↑ The Talon of Ruin, Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War.
- ↑ The Valley of Kings, Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War.
- ↑ Zero, Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War.
- ↑ Assault Records #168: Larry Foulke, Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War.
- ↑ Cutscene 01, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ Assault Records #156: Iosif Beletskye, Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War.
- ↑ GAZE: Last Christmas. Retrieved June 19, 2017.
- ↑ Introduction cutscene, Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy.
- ↑ 42.0 42.1 Final Option, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ 43.0 43.1 Aces At War: A History 2019, page 142.
- ↑ 44.0 44.1 White Bird (Part I), Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ Open War, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ Narrow Margin, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ First Flight, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ Rendezvous, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ Front Line, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ Handful of Hope, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ Ancient Walls, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ Cutscene 10, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ Lit Fuse, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ Blind Spot, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ Chain Reaction, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ Reprisal, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ Powder Keg, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ Four Horsemen, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ Demons of Razgriz, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ 60.0 60.1 Journey Home, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ Fortress, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ Cutscene 22, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ Heartbreak One, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ Closure, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ Ghosts of Razgriz, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ White Bird (Part II), Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ Sea of Chaos, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ ACES, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ The Unsung War, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.
- ↑ 70.0 70.1 Two-pronged Strategy, Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown.
- ↑ Charge Assault, Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
- ↑ Charge the Enemy, Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
- ↑ "Rescue", Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown.
- ↑ "444", Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
- ↑ Long Day, Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
- ↑ "Pipeline Destruction", Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
- ↑ "Faceless Soldier", Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
- ↑ Mission 11: "Fleet Destruction", Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown.
- ↑ "Stonehenge Defensive", Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown.
- ↑ "Battle For Farbanti", Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
- ↑ "Last Hope", Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
- ↑ "Homeward", Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
- ↑ "Lighthouse", Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
- ↑ "Dark Blue", Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
- ↑ Aces At War: A History 2019, page 126.
- ↑ "The Four Wings of Sand Island". Retrieved September 1, 2016.
- ↑ Cutscene prior to Chain Reaction / Reprisal, Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War.