- This article is about an in-game mission. For the in-universe event, see Battle of Puna Base.
- "I've got something on radar! It's the enemy! It's an attack!"
- ― Puna Base soldier
Out of the Fire is the second campaign mission of Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception. The player must destroy Leasath forces at Puna Base in order to capture the base for a spearhead assault on Port Patterson.
Eugene Solano: The airborne fortress, Gleipnir, nearly wiped out our entire attack force. Even with you, sir, our remaining aerial attack strength is severely limited. We no longer have the necessary manpower or supplies to pursue Gleipnir. In addition, there are reports of enemy forces gathering at Port Patterson. If we don't move soon, it will only be a matter of time before they attack from behind. Given the situation, we are left with only one plan of attack. On the Puna Plains lying between Aubrey Base and Port Patterson, Leasath forces have hastily constructed a resupply base to house the large quantity of supplies needed to support their troops. Attack Puna Base. Destroy all parked bombers and base facilities. Take away the enemies' ability to fight. If you succeed, we'll gain an important foothold for an attack on Port Patterson, and what's more we'll gain the supplies we need to win this fight. Unless we succeed in taking this base, that's it for our supplies. Please don't fail, sir.
A basic air-to-ground operation, the player spawns with two wingmen at the southern area of the map. The path to Puna Base is marked by a small force of anti-aircraft weapons. The airfield houses groups of C-5s and B-52s as the main TGTs, along with a command building defended by two AH-64 helicopters.
After destroying any four TGTs, three teams of enemy interceptors will appear sequentially in different directions. The mission is completed when all TGTs are destroyed.
The following enemy lists have been verified with the Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception - The Complete Guide.
|F-4E||280||2–4||[note 1] [note 2]|
|A-6E "ARI"||520||Normal||[note 4]|
Earning an S rank on this mission requires earning 6,000 points. If the player does not shoot down ARI, the maximum points they can receive is 6,110, which means the player must destroy almost every target on the map in order to earn the S rank.
Eugene Solano: Retreating Leasath forces have abandoned Puna Base. The base, including all provisions stored there, now belong to us. Now we'll be able to provide backup support for our troops.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 This group of enemies appears after any four TGTs have been destroyed.
- ↑ Only two F-4Es will initially spawn. After shooting one of them down, it will respawn a minute later, but only once. Since both can respawn, this results in a maximum of four potential F-4Es.
- ↑ This group of enemies appears after all reinforcement F-4Es and F-5E are shot down.
- ↑ ARI will spawn if the player destroys the two F-5Es on the runway before they take off.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception - The Complete Guide, page 052.