The QFA-44 made its first and only appearance in Ace Combat Infinity as one the main recurring boss battles in the Campaign and in Online Co-Op Missions. It was initially teased in the Tokyo Game Show 2013 trailer released on September 19, 2013.
At a glance, the QFA-44 features an almost identical airframe to that of the CFA-44 Nosferatu. However, unlike the CFA-44, the QFA-44 is equipped with Connection For Flight Interface systems which allow for long-range unmanned flight. The COFFIN system is located where the cockpit would be and is capable of being operated from long range via a network of satellites.
The QFA-44 is a twin-engine aircraft featuring a delta wing configuration with its forward canards allowing for greater manoeuvrability. The fighter can be stationed on and deployed from Aigaion-class heavy command cruisers. It is also designed to operate alongside MQ-90L Quox bis swarms, which defend the QFA-44 by intercepting threats with their laser weaponry. The QFA-44 itself is equipped with standard anti-air missiles and two anti-air machine guns. The aircraft also features three internal weapons bays which house All Direction Multi-Purpose Missiles.
The QFA-44 was developed in the 2000s or 2010s under unknown circumstances from conventional CFA-44s, which were modified to operate by remote control via a low-orbit satellite network through COFFIN systems. An undetermined number of fighters had their cockpits replaced with COFFIN units to allow for unmanned flight. The aircraft was intended to operate with MQ-90L Quox bis escorts.
In 2019, during the Sons of Troia insurgency, the QFA-44 was remotely flown by the Butterfly Master under the USEA Federation's command during several operations against United Nations Forces, beginning with the oversight of an MQ-90 Quox attack on Tokyo on May 1.
On August 10, the aircraft and a squadron of MQ-90Ls drones sortied from an Aigaion-class heavy command cruiser over the city during Operation Override and proceeded to engage Bone Arrow and Ridgeback squadrons towards the end of the battle.
Despite losing several drones to UNF pilots, the surviving aircraft killed Slash of the Ridgeback Squadron as he bailed out from his ASF-X Shinden II, leading an enraged Edge to engage the QFA-44 alone. The aircraft was later shot down by Reaper.
In May 2020, a second QFA-44 was flown by Camilla in an USEA air incursion from South America flying towards the Western United States, bearing an increased combat ability and MQ-90Ls with revised flight paths. The aircraft was engaged and destroyed once more by Reaper during a battle over Area B7R.
The full name of the aircraft and the existence of the COFFIN system were discovered by Arrows Air Defense and Security following the interrogation of captures Ater Team members shot down over B7R. An operation to destroy the satellite network behind COFFIN was proposed, but prohibited by certain space warfare treaties.
Following this, the QFA-44 was observed and engaged multiple times by mercenaries over various locations during Operation Eternal Liberation. Further engagements occurred over Moscow, Turkey, and the Adriatic Sea.
- The aircraft is named both "Camilla" and "Carmilla" once each. Given that its remote controller is named Camilla, the wiki displays that spelling first.
- The name Carmilla comes from a character of the same name, a female vampire and primary character of the eponymous 1871 book by English author Sheridan Le Fanu. The name is a dual allusion to the CFA-44's namesake, the 1922 film Nosferatu, an unauthorized adaptation of Bram Stoker's novel Dracula, which was released 26 years after Carmilla.
- The design of the QFA-44 is a slightly modified version of the CFA-44 -PROTOTYPE- paint scheme. The nose was made silver and the paint scheme has been changed to white and blue.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Dialogue during STONEHENGE RETURNS IV. Ace Combat Infinity.
- ↑ Debriefing following Area B7R (Campaign). Ace Combat Infinity.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "Far Eastern Front", Ace Combat Infinity
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Ace Combat Infinity
- ↑ "Lost Butterfly", Ace Combat Infinity
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 "Area B7R", Ace Combat Infinity
- ↑ "Adriatic Sea Landing Operation", Ace Combat Infinity