The RF-12A2 Blackbird II is an interceptor variant of the SR-71 Blackbird built to handle targets at ultra-high altitudes.
General Resources Limited, a worldwide company on the Usean Continent was constantly having it’s facilities watched by Neucom aircraft, which had began to violate the airspace restriction laws set by the UPEO. Neucom began flying at ultra-high altitudes over GR controlled cites, bases and areas with their R-531 Moburas and R-311 Remora escorts.
General Resource had a plan to modify the only aircraft they had capable of reaching those altitudes. They began retrofitting their SR-71s. The main upgrades installed in the Blackbird were a missile payload, advanced engine thrust, a COFFIN system, and an additional tail fin at the bottom of the craft for increased yaw, but the rest of the aircraft essentially remained the same as the original SR-71. This upgraded version soon became known as the RF-12A2 Blackbird Mk.II.
During the Nemo simulation, RF-12A2s were used by General Resource to protect important locations. If Nemo is detected during the raid on Expo City, several RF-12A2s will arrive as enemy reinforcements. In addition, RF-12A2s were used to defend White Valley Air Base; depending on Nemo's earlier choices, he either fights them while supporting Neucom's attack on White Valley, or flies one himself to defend against the Neucom raid.
Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere
- "In order to counter Neucom's new weapon, this craft was created through rapid development of an existing design. Since the design's focus was on reconnaissance from extremely high altitudes, it performs poorly in ground attack missions. To reach extreme high altitudes in a short amount of time, it is launched by rocket boosters and flies at speeds over Mach 3 to intercept and shoot down its target. Since it focuses on extreme high speed, the design lacks stability."
- ― Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere - Namco Official Guide Book
How to Unlock
- Japanese version: Complete Tainted Peace.
- International version: Only available for Stratosphere and Blackbird.
- Power: 100
- Attack: 35
- Defense: 75
- Stability: 35
- Mobility: 10
- Width: 16.94 m
- Length: 31.65 m
- Height: 5.64 m
- Total mass: 78,020 kg
- Max speed:
- Japanese Release: 5068 km/h
- International Release: 4883 km/h
- Damage Tolerance: Heavy
- The designation and role of the aircraft are references to the YF-12, an actual interceptor variant of the Blackbird and the overall A-12 family which never entered service.