Rena Hirose was an Usean fighter pilot that worked with the Universal Peace Enforcement Organization (UPEO). A sufferer of the rare Silverstone disease, she was first found by the corporation General Resource in her childhood because of her unnatural ability to fly aircraft.
She was one of the central characters of the Usean Corporate War simulation formulated by Simon Cohen, interacting with the artificial intelligence Nemo as both friend and enemy at various points in the conflict.
Rena was born somewhere in Usea in April 27, 2021. She was born with Silverstone disease, giving her a fatal vulnerability to sunlight. She had an unnatural prowess in flying aircraft, joining General Resource at age 9. The company created an special extra-vehicular activity (EVA) suit for her, allowing her to move freely under the sun. In 2037, she was transferred to the UPEO.
On the outset of conflict between General Resource and Neucom Incorporated, Rena was deployed with Erich Jager and Nemo to intercept a Neucom air unit passing near Expo City. After Gilbert Park became the commander of UPEO, she and her crewmates were transferred to the Special Armed Response Force.
Involvement in the simulation
At the end of every story branch, Rena is brainwashed by Dision and forced to board the X-49 Night Raven. Her ultimate fate depends of Nemo's choices through the simulation - of all outcomes, only one sees her come out alive.
Ending A (join Dision)
- Nemo and Keith Bryan fight a brainwashed Rena over the destroyed Megafloat. Keith smashes into her and wedges himself in the Night Raven's wings, dying as Nemo takes the X-49 down. The plane crash-lands in a destroyed city and is later found by ground workers.
Ending B (join Keith)
- Nemo pursues Rena into the underground Geofront and destroys the city's support pillars in an attempt to kill her. After Nemo destroys a squadron of rogue XR-900 Geopelia drones, the two land at General Resource's headquarters, where ground crews discover the Night Raven to be empty.
Ending C (join Cynthia)
- Nemo and Cynthia pursue Rena into the Geofront and battle her inside before killing her in a battle over Port Edwards.
Ending D (Join Fiona)
- Nemo and Fiona bring down the Sphyrna and pursue Rena through Geofront. They emerge on the other side of the city and takes down both Dision and Rena, the latter with the aid of Simon Cohen hacking the X-49. She is rendered comatose and found by ground crews.
Ending E (UPEO/Neucom path)
- Nemo discovers that UPEO commander Gilbert Park is the true mastermind of the Ouroboros plot and attacks the UPEO headquarters, killing him as he tries to escape. Rena briefly joins Ouroboros but is shot down and crash-lands in a beach in Expo City, waving happily as she sees Nemo and Erich fly above her.