Robert Sinclair was the President of the Federation of Central Usea during the mid-1990s through early 2000s. During his time in office, Sinclair's administration was confronted with several crises, including the Ulysses' planetfall in July 1999 and its aftermath. He is also credited with forming the Independent State Allied Forces (ISAF) to combat Erusea's invasion and occupation of San Salvacion in August 2003.
Response to Ulysses
In October 1994, researchers from two Usean universities discovered the Ulysses 1994XF04 asteroid and shared their findings with the FCU government. It is unclear if Sinclair's administration was in office at this time. Regardless, the Federation leaders requested further research be done and kept the information classified until it had been confirmed that countermeasures were required.
After consulting with the nation's Aerospace Society, Sinclair disclosed the news of Ulysses' approach in a historic press conference on April 20, 1996. That same day, Sinclair's Secretary of State, Stateson, attended an emergency meeting of the Committee of Foreign Affairs at the Central Usea Treaty Organization (UTO) headquarters. During the meeting, Stateson proposed the creation of a "National Missile Defense" (NMD) system between UTO members. Sinclair also authorized his Department of Defense, under the command of Richard Payne, to recall all FCU forces stationed overseas, including those involved in an ongoing dispute between the Federation and Erusea along the southern Amber-Ugellas border.
Sinclair's administration would later present the Defense Initiative plan, which called for the creation of an asteroid-interception railgun system known internally as the "Spaceguard Turret Network" (more commonly known as Stonehenge). The weapon's completion proved instrumental in mitigating damage from Ulysses' planetfall on July 3, 1999.
In the wake of Ulysses' planetfall, the sheer number of refugees displaced by the impacts overwhelmed the nations of Usea. To address this, UTO member-nations agreed to accept a certain number of refugees based on a variety of factors. Sinclair is believed to have supported this humanitarian effort by admitting thousands of foreign refugees into Federation territory. However, in April 2003, Erusea's foreign ministry began restricting its issuance of visas, effectively halting all immigration.
As refugees began gathering in crowded, disease-ridden camps along the Erusean border, Sinclair's administration and other members of the international community condemned Erusea's seemingly callous actions. It is unclear if Sinclair was directly involved in the UTO's retaliatory trade sanctions against Erusea. The escalating tensions eventually culminated in Erusea's invasion and occupation of San Salvacion and Stonehenge in August 2003.
Creation of ISAF
- "We'll absolutely be victorious. You can be as sure of that as you can that the sun will rise tomorrow."
- ― Sinclair
In response, Sinclair deployed the FCU's armed forces around occupied San Salvacion and demanded that the Eruseans withdraw by September 14 or face military retaliation; Erusea responded with its own demand that Sinclair back down and remove the FCU troops from the border. It was around this time that Sinclair and other members of the UTO began discussing a military alliance to counter Erusea's aggression. When Erusea failed to comply with his ultimatum, Sinclair announced the dissolution of the UTO's Continental Nations' Economic Alliance and the creation of the Independent State Allied Forces (ISAF), a coalition of 16 Usean nations that stood in opposition of Erusea's expansionism.
- ↑ "FCU President Makes Announcement To Ambassadors And Their Respective Nations", Asteroid On Collision Course With Earth. Retrieved July 17, 2018.
- ↑ Asteroid On Collision Course With Earth. Retrieved July 17, 2018.
- ↑ "Secretary Of State Expresses Support For NMD Proposal", Asteroid On Collision Course With Earth. Retrieved December 28, 2016.
- ↑ "Overseas Troops To Return Home Temporarily", Asteroid On Collision Course With Earth. Retrieved July 17, 2018.
- ↑ Hasegawa 1/72 "F-22A ACE COMBAT Mobius 1" (plastic model) description.
- ↑ Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 "Friction Arises from the Refugee Crisis", War?. GAZE. Retrieved January 30, 2017.
- ↑ "Erusea's Aggression", War?. GAZE. Retrieved January 30, 2017.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 "Nations Unite Against Erusea, ISAF is Founded", War?. GAZE. Retrieved July 17, 2018.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 "International Opinion Plummets", War?. GAZE. Retrieved January 30, 2017.