- This article is about an in-game mission. For the in-universe event, see Operation Lagoon.
- "Shut your mouth and fire back!"
- ― Jack Bartlett
The primary focus of the mission is to follow and force a spy plane of unknown origin to land. Destroying it fails the mission. After a short time, four MiG-21bis fighters will appear from the west and attack, but cannot be targeted due to AWACS Thunderhead ordering the player to not fire.
After Heartbreak One gives permission to open fire, the four fighters become marked as TGTs and the player must shoot them down. Once they are shot down, another wave will spawn. This continues until the recon plane crashes or four waves spawn, whichever comes first, after which no more waves will appear. Shooting down all planes in the final wave ends the mission.
|Initial||SR-71||-||1||Do not attack|
|Mission Update||MiG-21bis||220||4–16||[note 1]|
|Hawk "GIGANTOR"||240||Normal||[note 2]|
- Despite appearing solely in this level, the SR-71 Blackbird is unusually detailed. Flying close to it, one can see YAF markings on the sides and the words "Yuktobanian Air Force" painted in white letters on the top, revealing its allegiance.
- In early concept artwork of the game's opening, the aircraft used in Nagase's introduction were aircraft highly resembling Yakovlev Yak-28 bombers.
- The MiG-21s will show up in waves of four aircraft each. When the SR-71 crashes ("Enemy recon plane down!"), no more waves will spawn.
- GIGANTOR will spawn if the player causes a third wave of MiG-21s to spawn.
- Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War Perfect Guide, pages 062-063.