- This article is about an in-game mission. For the in-universe event, see Operation Lagoon.
- "Shut your mouth and fire back!"
- ― Jack Bartlett
Perrault: At ease, people...but don't get too comfortable. It's a grave situation for all of us right now. Let's get this briefing started.
Briefing Officer: Another aircraft of unknown origin has entered Osean Federation airspace. We have confirmed the target type as a strategic recon plane flying at very high altitude. Despite our repeated warnings, it continued to penetrate our ADEZ and was fired upon by Osean Coastal Defense Force SAMs. We believe one of our SAMs damaged the unknown plane, but did not destroy it. Radar shows that the aircraft is currently losing altitude, and is attempting to egress feet wet towards the ocean. Intercept this target and force it to land for identification. Do not fire upon this aircraft until further orders are transmitted.
The primary focus of the mission is to follow and force a spy plane of unknown origin to land. Destroying it fails the mission. After a short time, four MiG-21bis fighters will appear from the west and attack, but cannot be targeted due to AWACS Thunderhead ordering the player to not fire.
After Heartbreak One gives permission to open fire, the four fighters become marked as TGTs and the player must shoot them down. Once they are shot down, another wave will spawn. This continues until the recon plane crashes or four waves spawn, whichever comes first, after which no more waves will appear. Shooting down all planes in the final wave ends the mission.
|Initial||SR-71||-||1||Do not attack|
|Mission Update||MiG-21bis||220||4–16||[note 1]|
|Hawk "GIGANTOR"||240||Normal||[note 2]|
--Emergency transmission from Central.
To all Sand Island Base personnel:
1. All information regarding today's hostile encounter is to be classified.
2. Captain Jack Bartlett is ordered to report to base headquarters immediately.
Sep. 24, 2010
Osean Air Defense Force Central Command
- Despite appearing solely in this level, the SR-71 Blackbird is unusually detailed. Flying close to it, one can see YAF markings on the sides and the words "Yuktobanian Air Force" painted in white letters on the top, revealing its allegiance.
- In early concept artwork of the game's opening, the aircraft used in Nagase's introduction were aircraft highly resembling Yakovlev Yak-28 bombers.